Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

If you were wondering. . .


I canned more wild violet jelly first thing after my work out, and checked the weather.  Were you wondering if our rain stopped yet?  Well I was.

We got more rain, but I had a break in the day to get outside.  Oye. It's wet out there, but after checking the asparagus and garden (for damage), I high tailed it to the flower beds.  I could spend a week out there, plus the herb garden.

I have a plan for the wettest part of my vegetable garden.  Updates to follow if it works out.

I felt like the "If you give a Mom a Muffin" but with the weeds yesterday.  One thing just led to another.

I started weeding flower beds, and found several ornamental apple trees growing in it.  I dug up two and transplanted them.  I went back to weeding, but after pulling all the cleavers, it was almost a day with the cleavers.  I filled my dehydrator with them, and had a bit leftover.



Knowing our family motto, that has been on this blog for years now, you know I try to use everything I can, and what I have (and try to waste nothing).  So....two cleaver poultices were made and put into the freezer.  They can be used to heal cuts, bites, and even sunburn (cools the inflamed skin).

...and
while working with the last of the cleavers (which isn't easy considering it sticks to everything), I discovered some chickweed in it.  I pulled it out, went outside and cut some purple dead nettle and dandelion greens, and came in and made another pesto.

I went back outside to sip some cold nettle/oat straw tea on the porch, and realized the weather cooled down nicely, and the bees were gone.  I went right back to the flower beds and got most, but not all, of the thistle out.  

The wild violets are done for the season.  I see one or two, but that's it.


6 comments:

Yarrow said...

Such alovely post, thank you for sharing your day :D

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Yarrow. Glad you enjoyed it. Some days I just don't have anything really exciting to share, lol!

Rain said...

The violet jelly looks really nice. Your weeding adventures make me feel just a little weary lol...I'm happy for my container garden because I rarely have to weed anything!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, raccoons dig out my pots, so I do as little of them as possible anymore. It was a good putting up day for weeds.

mamasmercantile said...

I am always so impressed by your use of weeds and learn something new each time I visit.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, thank you!