Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Dry Days ~ More Rain

We finally had a few dry days, which for me meant weeding.  Lots of weeding and a garden hoe.  Although not completely weeded out, I dropped my zinnia seeds into the flower beds, as rain is coming back today.  I also planted my rosemary, lavender, and dropped some miner's lettuce seeds.  I also got my lavender and rosemary planted.




Asparagus is still coming up too.




I brought in the smallest egg ever the other night.  I was surprised it had a yolk, ha ha!



On my to-do list for a month now - homemade lip balm.  I use the recipe from Mountain Rose Herbs.  I had a few of the tubes left (which are easier for me to carry on Harley rides), but the tins are super easy to fill, hold more, and are much easier to wash and repeat.


It's official.  Zuri is now our daughter's emotional support animal.  I'm sure King will be too.



I need a poison ivy exterminator, ha ha!  Yep.  That's all poison ivy.  It's been either too windy or raining to try and kill it off too.


Every time I go out and see the un-mowed grass, I see those very tall dandelions and have this on the "try-it" list now.


A friend told me about making fake hornets nests to deter the bumble bees. I was desperate to try anything, as my mountain dew trap caught zero bees.  I put two on the porch and wa-la!  No bees.  You just take a brown paper bag, fill it with something to keep it puffed out, and hang it where the bees are an issue.  I'm making two more and hanging them in the barn were they are worse.  Actually, I am making Hubby hang them up, ha ha!  He's not afraid to walk through a shlew of them to do it.



I finished the scarf order and moved onto another porch friendly project.  Porch friendly is simply a smaller, hand held project that doesn't heat up my lap.

I'm up early to weed out a few more areas, bring in the edible weeds to dehydrate, before the rain arrives.  Have a wonderful weekend!



2 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

Great tip for unwanted bee, I will remember that. The lip balm looks good I am going to give the recipe a try, just waiting for the tins I ordered on line to arrive.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, we love the lip balm. It works great and no preservatives. So for the fake hornet's nests are working on the porch.