Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, April 19, 2018

This and That

The snow is back this morning.  Too tired to go take a photo for you all, but you can imagine how we feel.

It's been a rough few weeks.  My husband had to work 3rd shift again last night, and he was told Tuesday would be the last night.  We, at this point, have no idea when he'll be back to 1st again.  I've added a can of WD-40 to my shopping list. One thing I've realized, while trying to be quiet during the day, is that all my doors squeak.

On a good note, the boys showed up Wednesday, and one rode the Harley up to the shop.    It's getting new tires, etc. to get it ready for riding season.

I couldn't even remember what day it was this morning.  Literally.  With no days off, and the backwards routine, no wonder Hubby's stomach is bothering him.  He loved dinner last night - chicken with hot pepper mustard sauce, wild rice and "Full Throttle" sweet potatoes.

New recipe tried - Gochujang glazed meatloaf with green beans, and steamed broccoli.  The meatloaf and green part was new, I just added the broccoli. I used ground organic oats in place of "saltines" and it worked beautifully.  The sauce can be bought organic with non-gmo soybeans, and you can make it yourself (which I plan to do the next time).  We loved this.  However, the recipe stated to cook it all the same cooking time, and the green beans do not need 55 minutes, so there was adjusting.  It was our first time tasting a Korean sauce.  We all loved it.  

I located the recipe in a library book, but there is a recipe online with Good Housekeeping for the meatloaf..  I mixed about 2 Tbsp. Gochujang with homemade ketchup and coriander (ground) and tossed the green beans (pulled frozen garden green beans from my freezer for this), and just baked on rimmed pan until done.   The green beans were a bit spicier, but my family still loved it.

Well, I have chattered on already this morning, so I'll be off to do my yoga and exercise now.  If there is one good thing out of all this routine switch-a-roo, it's that I've been up earlier and to bed earlier, even though 4am or 5am beats me to my alarm.








5 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

The Korean meatloaf sounds delish! I hope hubby gets back on his regular schedule soon for everyone's sanity! LOL!

mamasmercantile said...

The weather worldwide is strange, a real mix.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

thank you Sam I Am

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

You are right, mamasmercantile.

RB said...

I remember 3rd shift well (from the USMC). It was no fun, but it was a paycheck.
Finally feeling a bit better thanks, I think, to the Gabapentin the doctor gave me for the pain. Got a lot done online today. Haven't been online much for months. Maybe next I'll be able to sweep and vacuum. I hope so. Bro Tom's been trying to keep up with that, but I move things when I sweep and vacuum so I can get behind things. Still, it's a blessing to have his help, regardless.
I have no idea what Gochujang is, but I love meatloaf, especially fried sandwiches with it the next day, so I'll have to give that a look up online.
Prayers everyone has a great weekend, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><