Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Rainy Days ~ Popcorn "pop" test #2 ~ Radish Seeds

I'm starting to think I need to get the canoe out to get around outside.  It's raining so often, the puddles are now like pools of water (which are frozen today).  We are going through many towels to wipe dog paws this week.


Popcorn "pop" test #2



It's taking much longer to dry out the popcorn this year.  We haven't used our pellet stove all winter (which heats the other end of the house), on account of it needing parts (and we all know about the medical bills).  In the past, I would put the ears of corn in front of the pellet stove, and it would be ready by December.  Not this time.  

I started tackling the first type of radish seeds.  It will take many more days to complete this chore.  It took almost an hour for that little bowl of seeds, and it doesn't look like much, right?  I'll be asking for some help this next weekend.





2 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Yep, all those "little" after-the-harvest chores that take soooo much more time than one would think. Most folks (sadly) think we're crazy for doing such things when we could go buy a pre-popped (even!) bag of popcorn in a minute or purchase some month old radishes (with no taste and an awful texture) off the grocery shelf. Ha! What benefits we all reap from taking the time and effort to produce the same right on our own piece of land. Mundane work such as seeding those radish pods is what I'm good at . . . wish I could sit in a chair next to you, chat and help out!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, you made me laugh out loud when you mentioned "crazy." I was thinking the same thing. My extended family must think I'm nuts, ha ha!