Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, February 16, 2018

Frugal Tips for Buying Organic Ingredients

I may be repeating information in this post, but I was reminded how wonderful it's been by adding dehydrated organic mushrooms to soups, pastas and stews this winter.

Of course this is in addition to all the frugal tips I've shared.


Olive Oil

Olive oil is expensive if you are buying it organic and non-gmo.  Olive oil should taste like olives. If it says it comes from more than one source, you are not getting true olive oil.

If organic and non-gmo are important to you and your family, consider buying it by the gallon.  Especially if you thrive to be self-sufficient, and use it for infusing (to make homemade lip balms, lotions, creams, balms, etc.).



Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar

Buy this by the gallon vs. the smaller bottles.  You will go through it quickly if you use it during canning season, make your own thieves vinegar (or other herb infused vinegar), your own facial toners, and more.  We are lucky to find a health store that sells it by the gallon.  Our grocers do not. I go through a lot for pickling too.


Mushrooms

Purchase when on sale and dehydrate.  Store in air tight containers in your freezer.  You'll have better nutrition at a better price.  Canned mushrooms are full of sodium, unless you buy salt free, but cans can have BPA too.


Celery

Purchase organic celery on sale, dice and freeze in ice cube containers.  Please visit my post on how to do this:  here


Spices/Herbs

Items like Cumin, Chili Powder, Cinnamon, ground mustard, sesame seeds, mustard seeds and others are used quite frequently at our homestead, and more so when canning season is here.   Locate a store (or online source) to purchase these in bulk, and at a good price.  Simply re-fill a small container in your pantry.  Store extra in canning jars in a dark cool location.  Be sure to date your jars.  You can do this with bay leaves or other herbs you are unable to grow yourself.

.


12 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Good tips, Kristina. I find buying almost anything in bulk is the way to go. Both financially and self-sufficiency wise. I know some folks say they don't have the room to store bulk quantities, but if this is important to you there are lots of places you can stash cases or home canned or dehydrated containers of goods: Under the bed, in a basement (if you have one and it's not damp), on the floor of a clothes closet, in the garage (if it's tempered regarding heat or cold), in totes stacked in a spare room (cover them with an attractive quilt or tablecloth), in the freezer (keeping your freezer full enables it to run more efficiently), etc.

Sam I Am...... said...

Great tips and information!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, thanks for all those storage tips too. Excellent ideas there.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sam.

Susan said...

So true! Once you identify your main staples, it pays to buy in bulk. My difficulty is finding things locally, which is my preference.

Henny Penny said...

I'm glad to know this. I never know which olive oil is best to buy.

mamasmercantile said...

Some great tips, I do need to look into buying some things in bulk for a more efficient pantry.

Leigh said...

Excellent advice. Sometimes it just takes a few adjustments in shopping to be able to get organics, but it's worth it.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, same here. I wish there was a store for people like us. Unfortunately, there are more fast food, convenience food choices in our local stores.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, after stepping it up a notch with canned goods, I made a list of things I needed more often, so I was better at buying bulk the next year.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Henny Penny, I watched a cooking show recently, where they taste tested olive oils, and I learned a lot.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, I try to grow everything myself, but I can't do it all. I tried growing cumin twice. Blueberries won't grow here either. It's a roll with the dice, but I sometimes find other things I can grow that I use and need.