Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Pickled Garlic ~ Mullein ~ Supplies ~ More Repairs


I strained the pickled garlic, and a jar of infusing mullein.  I totally forgot to check the calendar, but I was only a few days late on both jars.  I can't wait to taste the garlic.  It's the first time for me to pickle garlic.  I've made mullein tincture for a few years now, so that's not new, but needed.  Just in case.

So far, we are staying rather healthy, and keeping germs away (using homemade "lysol" wipes, a diffuser in my
bedroom, and using our "anti-ill" essential oil spray).  I try to remind the kids to wash their hands upon entering back in the house from school or work too.  Oh, and I am still using the Four Thieves vinegar I made.  The rest of the family is too chicken to take it, and after one daughter smelled it she called it "death" ha ha!  It simply smells and tastes like garlic.

We are dwindling down to the last of my home grown nettle.  I've been enjoying it in tea, and have one or two servings of it (blanched) in the freezer yet.

We still have a small supply of fresh red and sweet potatoes, but the supply is running out faster, as we used much of them at the holidays, including Thanksgiving.  However, we still have the mashed/frozen potatoes to provide meals with.

I'm about to suggest we go back to horse and buggy.  We can't seem to get a break with vehicle break downs.  While our daughter is busy working 2 jobs to save up to buy a new ignition, she is driving my car again.  She came in a few days ago, in tears, saying my car wouldn't start.  Thankfully, Hubby was still off work, so he loaned her his truck to get to work.  Thankfully, a friend drove out and jumped the car for us, and $140.00 later it had a new battery in it.  Sigh....I think we racked up enough for vehicle repairs this past month.

The temperatures here this winter have been much colder than last year.  Yesterday it was 0° when I got up and the forecast said it felt like -17°F.  We are getting through it by simply staying inside as much as possible.  I put on my layers and do all the outdoor chores in one trip, including dog walking and getting the mail.

School is back in session, but at 5°F outside (feels like -11°F).  The hot and cold water still flows, but it sort of coughed and sputtered first this morning.  My only plans today are to stay indoors and check a list off.  A snow storm is heading our way this coming weekend.

10 comments:

Leigh said...

I've never pickled just garlic, but I love the garlic cloves put into jars of other kinds of pickles. Always the favorite part! I guess I shouldn't complain about our frigid temps. Everything's frozen solid but we aren't as cold as you are. Stay warm!

Susan said...

This weather puts a strain on anything - including machinery. I am having to let my car run at least 10 minutes every morning, which is sucking down the gas. I think the only people enjoying this weather are the utilities and fuel oil companies. I am hoping, once it finally goes away, it stays away!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, I spoke too soon about water pipes - laundry room cold water is froze this morning. Gotta thaw it out ASAP.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I agree. I am glad we had our cold spell to kill off bugs etc. but now it's time to warm it up a bit. Sheesh.

mamasmercantile said...

Now that is what I call cold. Stay warm.

Rain said...

I can't wait to hear about your pickled garlic!
The cars...I would honestly love to have a horse and buggy. Sorry about your daughter's woes with the ignition. I would NEVER move back to the city, but at least I didn't need a car when I lived there! But of course, there are other prices to pay in a city...not worth it anymore.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, they say it will warm up, but I'm not sure yet

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, it is said that you can eat the pickled garlic whole and not have stomach issues.

Rain said...

That's interesting Kristina because too much garlic does upset our stomachs. But it has so many great health qualities about it, I try to add it to all of our meals. I am growing garlic for the first time, they are all sitting silent in containers under all that snow, so hopefully my crops will be plentiful and I will definitely be pickling some! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

You are welcome Rain. In the post I said I strained it, but I left the garlic in the liquid after it sat the second time, and put it in the fridge. I can't wait to try it.