Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Pickled Eggs with Hot Peppers ~ Trial #1

Have you ever made or eaten pickled eggs made with hot peppers?  


We love them, but I need to work on tweaking the recipe now.  

First, boil your eggs, cool and peel them, and place them in a wide-mouth canning jar.  My home layers lay large eggs, so I could only fit 10 eggs in my quart jar.



I made my first jar of them, using habanero peppers that I froze last fall.  I am almost out of jalapenos, but this has me thinking of different hot peppers to plant and grow this gardening season.

I also used organic non-gmo white vinegar, and homemade pickling spice (you can find recipes all over the internet for this too).




I placed one half habanero in the pot with the ingredients, and brought it to a boil, and had another half of hot pepper in the top of the jar.

I left this to cool, and placed it in the fridge for 3 days to a week before tasting.  You can guess you tasted early?  Hubby. 

Hot Pepper Pickled Eggs
1 cup white organic vinegar
1/2 water
2 Tbsp. homemade pickling spice
5 peppercorns
1 onion sliced, reserve a few slices to place on top of eggs
1 habanero pepper, sliced in half, reserving a half


Mix all ingredients, reserving a half of hot pepper to place on top of eggs with onion, in a saucepan, and bring it to a boil.

Pour mixture over eggs in the jar, top with hot onions and hot pepper, making sure your liquid covers them.  Close the jar with a lid, cool and place in the refrigerator for 3 days.  Enjoy!

*I'll be trying this many times over, using a variety of hot peppers.  This particular trial with habaneros had a lighter taste than we'd prefer.  I will use a larger jar as well. My brine would not fit in the single quart jar.

Eat as a snack, or top a salad with pickled eggs.  Add to a sandwich.

These will last 3 to 4 months in the refrigerator.  

Now...to add dill or not to this. . .the fun begins.


11 comments:

Unknown said...

I got the wrong baby at the hospital; my son loves pickled eggs but we don’t. He makes his own, too. I found an organic Ghost pepper plant during the Summer when I visited. I bought him two plants that gave him a lot of peppers. He saved seed so he can grow more this year. While there at Christmas, I had to leave a dozen eggs that wouldn’t travel well. He pickeled them last weekend. Like minds and all that......
Debbie

mamasmercantile said...

I have pickled eggs before but never added peppers, sounds delicious.

Sam I Am...... said...

I have never pickled eggs or eaten any but it sounds interesting especially for another way to preserve them when your layers start giving you dividends! I would tell your acid-reflux husband though that the hot peppers are doing him no favor nor is the vinegar!

Leigh said...

I've made pickled eggs but never with hot peppers! Sounds like a nice change up though. Some days a little spice is just what's needed.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debbie, my kids won't even try the eggs, ha ha! Hubby and I love them. I'm sure come summer time, one daughter will put them on her salad.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, I think it gives them a wonderful taste.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, I know. I told him, ha ha! He has gone through 11 half pints of Cowboy candy and we have only one jar left. I try to tell him, and I think he's finally listening to me. He told me that work buys lunch many times, and my homemade packed lunch goes un-eaten (and he eats bad foods at work). He's getting my point.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, I can't wait to try them again with other hot peppers.

RB said...

Never been a fan. In fact, I don't much care for the dryness of hard boiled yolk unless I mix mayo or butter with it, or put it in a salad.
I do love pickles though. Our Gran made some of the best dill pickles I've ever eaten.
Prayers everyone has a great weekend, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Unknown said...

That sounds good I love hot things so thanks

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Unknown, you are welcome