Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, January 27, 2018

I'm back

I can't say things are back to completely "normal" yet, but getting there. I've tried my absolute best to maintain my good diet and exercise, and continue to do something I enjoy each night, while sending prayers up for just about everyone.  Hubby reminded me to get back to my blog, as it too is part of what I enjoy.  So here I am.

In the process of keeping things normal, I think I converted our vegetarian daughter back to a meat eater.  While baking meals for the extended family, and the aroma and wonderful taste of casseroles from years ago, she's eating meat again (18 year-old).  Big shock to all of us, but we also giggled when she slobbered over that recent meatloaf I made. 

And in the process of so much talk about meat, Hubby is about 98% agreeing we raise meat birds this spring.  It'll be a matter of if we can whip up housing for them.  We used to raise them in a part of the old big barn.


Back to Mom.  Mom had a bad reaction to a new medication.  It made her deathly ill (sound familiar?), and a kind neighbor drove her to the ER at 4am.  The doctor changed her medication and put it through an IV instead of swallowing pills, and she is on the mend thankfully. It still makes her nauseated, and they are keeping her until the medication is done (possibly longer).   

Speaking of ill, the hospital Mom is in, has been completely full.  There is so much sickness going on, and other surgeries too.  They put her in the "after surgery" care wing due to lack of rooms.  With that said, I have been careful to push elevator buttons with my elbow, and wash my hands etc.  Germs be gone.  I have about a 1/2 pint of my Four Thieves Vinegar too, and I'm taking it each day I visit the hospital.  To sooth my nerves my "go to" tea has been Holy Basil.


Random Tidbits:

I've been putting lentils in my yogurt smoothies.  Seriously.  Protein packed.  I made this delicious-ness with a half of banana, a bit of peaches, some blueberries, splash of pure cherry juice and maybe 1/4 or more of cooked green lentils.

I found yarn!  The bright orange cotton yarn.  While out getting casserole ingredients, I took a quick stroll through the yarn aisle.  Yippee!  $1.50 per ball.

Hubby and I took the Harley out yesterday.  We needed a "sanity saver" ride, so we took one.  It was a high of 51°F and sunshine.  It required me to wear a long sleeved top, topped with 2 zip up jackets, a leather coat and fur lined half chaps, but it was a very nice ride and much needed. Mom was shocked when she saw us in bike gear, when we brought her some clean clothes, a book and other items she wanted.

Prior to all of these happenings going on right now, I have tried the roll recipes that were shared with me, so a post will soon arrive on that, as well as the protein frittata recipe.  I haven't forgotten.

Hubby picked up my latest library loot.  The book I wanted to read more than all others, finally came in.  I really hope to get it read before it's due.  I just haven't been in a reading sort of mood lately.

The community has really pulled together to support our nephew's family.  The school is even helping with donated funds. The funeral is Monday.  Thank you all for your kind words.  

9 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Trying to maintain "the normal" under trying circumstances is good, but also sometimes difficult. Hang in there. Glad your mom's emergency has been taken care of. Hoping she's back home soon, as I'm sure everyone else is, too.

A week ago we heard of an extended family/friend's tragedy. Sixteen year old boy brain dead following an auto accident. They took him off life support midweek and donated his organs. So hard to understand when a young person like that dies.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Oh Mama Pea you are right. It has hit the family so hard, and we are all so heart broken. We are trying to be there for them as much as possible. I'm lucky to have such a large close group of family and friends on my husband's side.

Rain said...

I'm glad to hear your mom is on the mend. Poor lady. I do NOT do hospitals very well...it just brings up terrible anxiety and I hope I never have to enter one again! Pipe dream maybe.

Lentils in your smoothies!!! At first I turned my nose up lol! But what a great way to add protein!

mamasmercantile said...

You and your family are in my prayers. Hopefully your Mum will be home soon and feeling better. Take care.

Leigh said...

I'm glad you're still hanging in there with blogging. It's been tough times for you and I admire you for trying to hang on to some semblance of normal. Familiar routines are so helpful when everything else seems to have fallen apart. Nice your daughter is eating meat again! I had a similar situation with my daughter and it's hard to accommodate just one person's dietary preferences. Sometimes it's necessary, but it certainly makes things easier to have everybody eating the same things.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, I think lentils actually taste better than adding spinach. Yeah, I do not like hospitals either. I am staying away from them for two days now. Other family will be going up.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, thank you!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, thank you. Some nights we just can't talk about what's going on, and keep the mood light to keep our stress levels down. It's tough to see the family hurting so badly right now. As for accommodating a vegetarian, it's been difficult for sure.

Susan said...

I am so sorry all this sadness had come upon your family, Kristina. You have had way more than your fair share. I do admire how you keep up such a positive spirit in the face of all this. My good thoughts and hugs go out to you and yours.