Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, January 1, 2018

Happy New Year! Random Tidbits ~ Handiwork Updates

Happy New Year!  Did you stay up until midnight and watch the ball drop?  We did not, ha ha!  We were fast asleep watching "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel."  We'll have to back up the next time we watch it, ha ha!  Hubby fell asleep way before me. 

The deconstruction process of the Christmas decor has already started.  We'll have to bring in the totes and take them back out in one trip.  It's cold.  I do not make "resolutions" for the new year, I simply keep on, keeping on (but better).


I made my first cup of hot basil tea.  Not "Holy Basil" but regular, good ol' herb garden basil.  I keep a fresh pot growing indoors during winter.  I ran out of dandelion root, then ran out of dandelion teabags, so I made basil tea for a "detox" tea.  

It is said to help fight off illnesses and infections, clean the kidneys, builds the blood (purifying it), and kills bacteria. It's also said to be a circulatory stimulant.  My brain could use a boost of oxygen, so I made the tea.  It was pleasantly delicious.  I could also simply eat the basil in a meal too.  It's good for preventing tension headaches, as it strengthens the nervous system as well.

Finished!


One more double wrap infinity scarf with a matching slouchy hat.  The slouchy hats are selling quickly, so I hope January goes slow.  Really slow.  I need to restock items.



....this will become another scarf soon.
   



Here was my dilemma.  The one on the left was the yarn color I could not locate.  I was one granny square from re-creating a scarf I made back in 2010.  I made one for a daughter and it came up missing.  I even have a matching hat before I realized I needed more yarn.  Hence why I bought yarn keys.

The colors are so nice together, so I have kept the two granny squares in case I do find it.  It's like a cranberry color, but with orange in it.  I can't remember if it's Red Heart or Bernat.  I want to say Red Heart. So, hence the burgundy squares for the scarf this time.  It's not even close to the color.  I found one similar (Lion Brand), but the skein was small, and the price was twice what the other brands are.



I also crocheted myself a "messy bun" hat using the free pattern on Ravelry, but skipped rows 9-11.  It's still not as tight as I'd like, so I'm making it again with a smaller hook to try and get a better fit.  That's the problem with free patterns.  I get better luck using patterns from books. 


I got a few more heart keychains crocheted.


I'm back to finishing this baby blanket now too.

It's a whopping 3°F here this morning, and Hubby said, "it's actually warm in here today."  Ha ha!  It's dipping back down again before it warms up.  The sun is shining, so that is good.

6 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

We had a phone call inviting us to join some friends so that is what we did, a wonderful surprise and a wonderful party.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, what a surprise and fun time!

Liz said...

We never made it to midnight either! My mom crocheted us girls those kind of scarves for Christmas this year. Since wearing mine she has already been asked to knit more for some of my friends.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Liz, I made several and sold them at a recent Christmas craft show. I sold more Harry Potter scarves too.

Sam I Am...... said...

I never make it to midnight...I don't even try! I hope you find your yarn as it is pretty. I see now that the bun hat really does have a hole for the bun! I need to make some of those for myself. I love your color choices for your scarves and hats. Happy New Year!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Sam I Am