Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Deodorant Experiment ~ Cocoa Powder Disaster

I've been experimenting with different deodorant recipes.  The last one I made was in liquid form, and the recipe was from Mountain Rose Herbs.  You can see my post here.  I like the liquid roll on, just don't ever put lemongrass in it. It will burn (it's just very strong).

I wanted to try another recipe for using deodorant containers.  No messy application, and I am hoping for a consistency that won't melt in summer.

I'm trying to convert my girls to using homemade vs. store bought organic/aluminum free (expensive) deodorants.  It has been a tough road in converting them too.

In the very beginning of these trials we first started out with a recipe that used coconut oil - hard in winter, soft in summer, and it was applied by fingertip.  It was shunned quickly by the girls, and Hubby didn't want to mess with it when we had to keep it in the fridge in summer.

You can simply use baking soda for a deodorant too. I have not tried this (yet).

 Experiment #374 (just exaggerating a bit there, ha ha!) 




I ordered my containers and made a recipe using:

1/4 cup organic non-gmo corn starch
1/4 cup baking soda
3 Tbsp. organic coconut oil
1 Tbsp. grated beeswax (or pastilles)
5 drops organic tea tree essential oil
5 drops organic lavender, orange, or other favorite*

Note: I have a special double boiler I use for making such items (beeswax leaves behind a film that is difficult to completely remove).  I also use organic ingredients, because what you put on your skin goes into your body.  If you are avoiding chemicals, this is the way to do it.  Or simply don't use any deodorant.

Melt coconut oil with beeswax, mix in corn starch and soda, remove from heat and add essential oils.

The results?  The final deodorant was a consistency where I had to spoon it into the container. It was not soft enough to "pour" into it.  I used a disposable knife to put the last of it on the top, not to waste it.

*This recipe makes one deodorant container, so I made one for me to try first.  No messy fingers in applying it now.

The next one will be for Hubby, so I will add bergamot for him.  It is one essential oil I have on hand.  We are approaching a bit of warmer weather, so I'll soon find out if this gets too soft or not.  I'll be sure to come back with an update.

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Funny to share.  While reaching up in the top cupboard to fetch my corn starch (because in my house the top shelf has everything double stacked), a container of cocoa powder came tumbling down.  It hit the counter, popped open, went ev-er-y-where.  All over the counter, all over the stove and stove knobs, and down the cupboard.  It went all down the front of me, my white sleeve was covered, it landed in my hair, all over my pants, inside my shoe and onto my socks.   

I was so mad, and Hubby was standing behind me.  He later told me he was biting his lip to keep from laughing.  He said he was afraid if he did, I'd stab him with something.  Oh, we got it cleaned up.  I tossed all my dirty clothes in the washer and headed back to the kitchen.

Hubby said laughing, "I'm reminded if this is a big problem or a small problem."  I admit I laughed.  We had lunch and I started making deodorant all over again.  I had measured out my baking soda and it too was filled with cocoa powder.  I really need more cupboard space, ha ha!  I literally had to wash everything, including my shoes and socks.

As for the "big problem, small problem," it comes from a story my sister-in-law shared.  My nephew, just in preschool, had been taught to know the difference by his Mom and Dad.  One day he went running to his Mom and said, "Mom, I think we have a small problem."  Turns out his younger sister had gotten in the pantry and chili powder was all over, including her hair.  While cleaning her up, the bath water even turned red.  In the process of bathing her, the dog started to get into the chili powder, so she called for more help. 

So the next time you are covered in cocoa powder, ask yourself, "is this a big problem or a small problem." 

Image result for emoticon laughing meme

4 comments:

gld said...

We switched to baking soda last summer. We found the regular ones from the store just weren't working. The baking soda is messy to apply (just rubbing a pinch on) but works beautifully. I like mixing it with a talcum (I know, not good) to make it more spreadable.

mamasmercantile said...

I too am trying not to laugh...what was the outcome, a big problem or a small problem?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks gld, good to know.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, you made me laugh, ha ha!