Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Wild Animal ~ Salted Caramel Fudge

Good morning y'all!  It's a frigid 17°F here this morning.  It looks like we got about 3-4 inches of snow last night, and taking the dogs out this morning was not exactly peachy. 

First, they were so excited to play it in, they kept forgetting what they were out there to do.  Second, traffic is traveling at about the speed of a turtle.  Roads look terrible from what I can see, and those slow vehicles kept distracting the dogs.  Once that task was completed, I had hungry barn cats and indoor cats to feed, a fire to stoke and coffee to brew.  School is delayed two hours for now.  I wouldn't be surprised if they canceled it.

I took this through the door from the inside last night.  What in the world makes long, wide drag marks?  About two hours prior to this photo, there were two very long ones to the right of it coming up to the cat food and then leaving. I wish I took a photo then, as the marks were better to see.  What do you think left this drag mark?  A weasel?  Fox?  Coyote?  It's much wider than a cat tail dragging, and cats don't drag their tail like that.  


                                      


Yesterday I dug my way through the pantry.  Guess what?  I had the ingredients to make Salted Caramel Fudge!

Here is the recipe.  It really tastes like caramel too.  I use organic ingredients, and the organic sweetened condensed milk is never sold in stores around here, only about 3 hours south of us in large health stores (or online).

Salted Caramel Fudge
1/2 cup butter
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk*
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
1 cup white baking chips
1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt

Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with foil and light spray with organic non-stick spray or lightly coat with organic olive oil.  

I did not have spray, so I used my olive oil.

In a medium sauce pan, melt butter.

Add the condensed milk, brown sugar and corn syrup.
On medium high heat bring to a simmer, until sugar is dissolved and mixture starts to bubble.  Reduce to low, and stir constantly as it cooks 10 more minutes.

Remove from heat, wait a few seconds for the bubbles to stop, toss in the white baking chips, stir and then wait 2 minutes.  Stir again until the chips are melted, and pour the mixture into the prepared pan.  Sprinkle the top with coarse salt, and refrigerate 2 hours before cutting.

I store mine in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container.

*You can also make your sweetened condensed milk from scratch vs. buying it organic.  It just takes (all organic ingredients, and homemade vanilla) whole milk, sugar, butter and vanilla to make it.  There are many recipes available online.


I'm still working on "Vet Tech" Daughter's scarf.  It was cold enough to wrap my legs with an afghan yesterday too.  I'm whipping up some new items for the next craft show too.  The next one, if they hold it, won't be until sometime in February.

Dog duty is on me today.  My "Grad" daughter stayed overnight at Gram's house to avoid driving home in the snow storm.  She is still driving my car, and said in-town driving was terrible. She delivered Jesse his doggie scarf and I am told it fits him perfectly.  He's going to need it today. 

Speaking of Jesse.  "Vet Tech" daughter now has her dog registered as an "emotional support" dog.  I asked her what was wrong with her, and why she needed to do that.  She answered, "I'm a college student."  Either way, now she can rent any apartment with him.


13 comments:

Kristen - yourfaceislikethesunshine.blogspot.com said...

Is it a raccoon tail? Thanks for that recipe! Yum!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kristen, I think it was actually a fox looking for it's next meal. You are welcome(recipe).

Rain said...

Great idea Vet Tech has! :) I was going to say fox too because we had some the last place we lived and they do drag their tails along the snow. Otherwise I would have thought it was a loose leash on a dog, I put the leash on Jack, but let him run a bit and it makes that type of indentation in the snow. Oooh fudge! Yum!

Vicki said...

I was thinking long tailed weasel, but if the tail marks are wide, I vote for the fox.

Being a huge caramel fan, I am going to have to try your recipe. It looks wonderful!

RB said...

The only thing I can think of with a tail like that right off would be a possum. I've never seen a fox drag it's tail and leave a mark like that in snow.
The scarf is beautiful colors. Your daughter will love it.
God bless.
RB
<><

Sam I Am...... said...

Would a beaver drag it's tail like that or a possum? Thank you for the salted caramel recipe as I was just getting ready to make some but just regular. Thanks for reminding me that I love the salted caramel ones!
Your crochet scarf looks lovely...love the colors. Stay warm!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Vicki, the fudge is very good. I need to find a recipe for peanut butter now. I haven't made fudge in many, many years.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you RB, I think we may put a deer camera out to see what it is. It visited us again sometime before 7pm.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks you Sam I am, I didn't think of a possum, and two of you both suggested that. I hope we can catch it on camera. Inquiring minds want to know, lol!

Susan said...

I think fox, too. Oh, that fudge! I don't dare make it because I would eat it ALL myself!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, you will definitely want to make the fudge, ha ha! We too are eating it way too quickly, and trying to save some for Christmas. Yeah, may not get saved, ha ha!

Leigh said...

Emotional support dog! I had to smile but it's true, pets do provide a ton of emotional support. Didn't realize an animal could be officially registered as one, however.

Your fudge and knitting both look good! I have some organic corn syrup stashed away, and the fudge is tempting, but so is homemade pecan pie :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, when she told me she was just honest and said she was a "college student" I broke out laughing. She laughed too, but said "it's hard Mom." and Jesse is a great with other people and most dogs too. She takes him to work too. I'm about to make a second batch of fudge, but pies do sound good too.