Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Welcome Back! Grab a cup of Java!

We got through the holidays, birthday, and anniversary craziness.  We had a few hiccups, but managed to get through it all.  It has really slowed down, despite not yet the New Year, so I am at the computer this morning.

It's been bone-chilling weather here.  One night down to as low as -5°F.  So far, we are keeping warm.  Hubby and I fired up the wood splitter.  It coughed and sputtered, but eventually started, and together we cut wood Christmas day for several hours.  
We cut up a few more barn beams (had to shovel them out, ha ha!)





The holiday leftovers were a blessing too.  At Christmas Eve dinner, ha ha, we never even cut into one pie.  Seriously, we were so stuffed, those two pies lasted for days here.  


(our sweet potatoes continue to supply us)

I had a bit if a hiccup making my sweet potato pie too.  Did anyone notice on my recipe post I left out the temperature to bake it?  Ha!  I had to figure that out considering I didn't follow one specific recipe.  Anyway, in the process of being rushed I added 2 lbs. of sweet potatoes vs. 1 lb.  In the end, it still tasted good.

Christmas day all three of my older kids showed up, including my son.  My step-daughter didn't show up, but otherwise, we had a nice visit enjoying leftovers (the kids stuffed themselves so full, they too did not want pie).  I offered take-home leftovers, including cookies and pie, and after saying no, the next day I got messages they wished they had (ha ha!). 

It was the first Christmas to "fully" enjoy my own family (husband and kids) by ourselves, without expectations of being elsewhere.




Hot cranberry punch was made, which my oldest daughter loves.  We all like it, but it's a family tradition, and a favorite.  Luckily, I had stashed organic cranberries in the freezer.



At Christmas I discovered our oldest two daughters have the same likes.  As one saw the other get a Harry Potter scarf, the other sat wide-eyed and dismayed she didn't get one.  She'll get it on her birthday come February.  While the kids visited, I crocheted grand-pup Mia her doggie scarf - sporting Honolulu Pink, just like Zuri's.

As for our anniversary, we had a few hiccups in just getting out to dinner.  Our "Grad" daughter gifted us a gift card to eat at a steak house that we really like.  First up, from early morning to 1pm, we lost out due to one cat needing to visit the vet (Jasper - had a bladder infection).  I piddled around and picked through yarn stash while waiting.

Next, as Hubby pulled in the driveway from the vet, a friend of the family pulled in.  He came in had coffee, cookies, wanted barn wood (really? when it's -1°out?), and wanted our snowmobile (that has sat un-used for years).  

You can imagine my frustration as I was dressed up and ready to go out.  Hubby and both wanted to eat early and get home early, considering the frijid temperatures. 

Long story short, our guest finally leaves, we head to the steak house but find out it's not open for another hour.  We decided to use my birthday gift card and eat at another restaurant.  It was the worst, awful, terrible food you could eat.  We'll never go back.  We only went due to the gift card. We came home and hunkered down to movies, more Christmas cookies and eventually more leftovers (including pie).


What's on the hook(s)?



I received one order for a slouchy hat, so that's what is on my hook currently.  



On a smaller crochet hook - handmade cute-ness.  I did not have one specific pattern.  I used yarn stash of a crochet thread I have.  I am very impressed with the way they turned out too.  I wanted to have something "heart" at the upcoming craft show (if they still hold the show). I'll be picking through more yarn stash and making a few more in different colors.




I have another double wrap scarf in the making too (light blue and soft white), and I hope to make a matching slouchy hat (to sell).  I had a quick chat with Hubby on opening an Etsy store, and we'll probably talk again. It will cost me to list items ($.20/each item for 3 months, plus a 3.5% transaction fee from the price the item sells at.  And if they don't sell at all in the time period offered, I lose money.  So...most likely another talk.  Quite possibly a trial period.  

I need to research the tax laws as well. I have located the "vendor's license" application ($25.00).  So, the numbers to open an Etsy are increasing already.  I'd have to sell some high priced items to make it work.  There are no consignment stores in the area anymore.  All closed.

Normalcy has returned here at the homestead.  It's back to the organizing, purging and making necessities from scratch. I'm glad our anniversary trip was canceled for a later day.  I don't think we'd be enjoying ourselves in these temperatures.

9 comments:

mommar6 said...

Have you shared your cranberry punch recipe? I would love to see it. I did a search and didn’t find it.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mommar6, I don't think I have yet. I will get that recipe posted for you soon.

mommar6 said...

Thank you Kristina

Lady Jane said...

Glad you had a great Christmas. The on the hook hat will be awesome and the little heart is so cute. Hugs, LJ

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Lady Jane.

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds like a wonderful family Christmas, those pies look delicious.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks mamasmercantile, the pies are delicious for sure.

Sam I Am...... said...

Sounds like you had a great Christmas but a disappointing anniversary. I guess we can't have it all. Your pies look so good and your crafts are so pretty. You've been busy!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, we are glad we had to postpone our trip for our anniversary. It's too cold to enjoy it. Our one daughter gave us a gift card to a steak house, so we went out for dinner later and really enjoyed it.