Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Homemade Smoked Almonds

Hello?  Anyone out there in "cyber" land?

I love smoked almonds.  However, the ingredients in them are typically bad for good health.  Usually, they include bad oils and a form of soy.  In my opinion, all soy, unless it's organic/non-gmo, is bad for good health.  Very bad. If you saw how many times they spray the soybean field in my state, you'd never eat anything with it again.  Anyway....

I decided to make my own.

First, I made homemade celery salt using dehydrated organic celery leaves and salt. I had about 1/4 cup of dehydrated celery leaves, so I ground them up with a small amount of salt.  I didn't measure.  I just "eye-balled" it. 

Tip:  When you purchase organic celery with leaves, to freeze celery for winter, dehydrate your leaves for celery salt or to simply use in soups/stews, pastas, and other dishes too.

Then I made the almonds with the celery salt and other ingredients.  How did they taste?  

Delicious!  I used all organic ingredients and the egg white from one of our layers.




Smoked Almonds
1 egg white, whipped until foamy *
2 tsp. garlic powder (I make my own from home grown garlic)
2 tsp. homemade celery salt
1/4 tsp. salt 
2-3 drops of blackstrap molasses
1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
3 cups almonds, raw (organic) toasted and cooled. I roasted mine in the oven, then cooled them first.

Mix ingredients together and spread on a large rimmed lightly greased baking pan.  Bake at 300°F for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

*save the yolk to add to your breakfast, add to a frittata or other dish.  Or bake it and treat your dog with it.  Our dogs LOVE eggs.

Our homemade garlic powder is very pungent, so if you make your own and don't like garlic as much, cut that back a bit.  We love garlic, and it does stand out in this recipe.  It contains less salt, no processed ingredients, and healthier.  Yum!


8 comments:

wyomingheart said...

That sounds like a perfect thing to try on this cold weekend!
Thanks a lot!

M.E. Masterson said...

I would love the recipe! ty for sharing

Leigh said...

What a great idea. I'm think Dan would actually want to put them in his smoker! We've talked about smoking cheese, but until we can get it set up for cool smoking, cheese is impossible.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

wyomingheart, they are very good. I think I may buy a smoker next.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

M.E. Masterson, you are welcome. We love them.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, you read my mind. We have a smoker on the wish list right now.

RB said...

I LOVE nuts of any kind, but I generally prefer raw unsalted (unspiced) ones still in the shell and LOVE sitting cracking them and snacking on them. My favorites are almonds and walnuts, and a third would be pecans.
I have trouble finding them at any time other than CHRISTmas. Anyone else have that problem?
Prayers everyone has a great week ahead, and a safe one too. Mind the weather and road conditions in your area. CHRISTmas this year wouldn't be the same for your loved ones without you.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, you are right about finding the shelled nuts at Christmas time. I am lucky to receive a bag or two of locally grown ones here. We are still cracking them (walnuts).