Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, December 8, 2017

Cats to the Vet ~ Harry Potter Scarf ~ Calendula Cream Update ~ Cashew Brittle Recipe

(these are older pictures, but you can see who is who)

The cats have both been to the vet this week. Somehow, with the "car shuffle" we managed it.  Jasper had to be seen because of his teeth.  He has gum disease.  He's going back for a teeth cleaning to prevent it from getting any worse.  There is no cure for gum disease in a cat sadly.  He's on antibiotics until then, and he's not liking getting it.  




Tiger is sick.  He started to vomit all over the house, so we switched his food, and he'll only eat one wet type (and it has to be cold).  He was keeping it down, but now his back bones are sticking out too much, even though he was eating.  Now his hair is falling out in large clumps.  The vet looked him over, and blood work is getting processed.  We'll get results soon.




Here is a photo of the scarf craze that has been going on.  It's the "Harry Potter" (Gryffindor) scarf that went bananas after the show.  There has been one more request (gulp) for a Slytherin (green and gray) scarf, so I have dug through my stash and sent photos to the person.  I'm still waiting to see if the colors have been approved before I continue it.  I'm starting my 5th "Gryffindor" scarf today.  It's taken 12 hours of labor to make the first 4 scarves.

Yesterday, I was out making a delivery for one of the scarves (hitched a ride to the vet with a daughter) and a slouchy hat.  Hubby is making another delivery for someone who purchased a double wrap scarf and slouchy hat.  

Remember the recent new recipe I whipped up for Calendula Cream?  Well, after using it on my finger tips for the my pinched fingers, the blood blisters have completely healed.  I love this cream and it will be my "go-to" recipe from now on.  I'm using it on my spider bite scars and hope to have updates on that too.  The next herbs to experiment with will be yarrow and feverfew.  That will be in the spring if my plants have grown enough.

Here is the recipe for the brittle.  I use all organic/non-gmo ingredients, and I make my own vanilla.  Read your cashew ingredient label before buying.  Most will include a "bad" oil, so look for organic when you can.  The last time I read a label on regular cashews, it contained cottonseed oil (high in saturated fats and possibly pesticides too).  Most people don't think to read a label on something that should be one ingredient like a nut.

Cashew Brittle 
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups salted cashew halves
1 tsp. butter (no substitutes)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract

In a microwave safe bowl, combine the sugar and corn syrup.  Microwave uncovered on high for 4 minutes.

Stir.  Carefully.  It will be hot.

Microwave for 3 minutes longer.

Stir in cashews and butter, and microwave for 30-60 seconds or until mixture is a light amber (will very HOT).  


Quickly add the vanilla and baking soda and immediately pour onto a greased baking sheet.  Spread with a metal spatula.  Chill or allow it to cool completely.  Break into small pieces and store in an airtight container (in a dark, cool area, but not the refrigerator or freezer).  

The brittle is not hard on your teeth.  It's delicious too. Gosh, just posting this made me run to my stash and eat a piece.


 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It snowed yesterday.  Nothing heavy, but all throughout the day.  I opened the chicken run anyway.  They loved the snow.

No comments: