Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Canning, Bourbon and Crochet ~ Cherry Bourbon BBQ Sauce




Tuesday started out just gorgeous.  Caught these photos after seeing it going out to fetch firewood.  Just makes a person smile.  

BBQ pork chops went into crock pot yesterday.  We had leftover wild rice, and it was a perfect match.  The sauce is home canned, with added fresh onion, green pepper etc.  Yum.  Recipe is in the cookbook, "Fix it and Forget it."  Although I think it's called "Spicy" not BBQ in the book.

Now if you just read the blogpost title and wondered (hiccup) if I indulged (hiccup) in that bourbon or (hiccup) not .  .  . 

 . . . Cherry-Bourbon BBQ Sauce was canned. Recipe is a "pile to file" keeper recipe.  I've had this on my list for over a year now.  It's from "The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving @ 2016."   And you bet I tasted it right away.  Yum!    I would recommend it for gift giving for any occasion too.  You can use it on meat, fish, rice or other grain, on burgers, in other recipes...endless ideas.

I couldn't get my towels out on the line until noon, but the high winds dried it spankin' fast.  The sun was out too. 

Yesterday's snack?  Pumpkin hummus.  Mmmm.


It was also a day to blanch and freeze 3 bundles of organic dandelion greens, pick some more kale, and bring in one egg from my free loaders.  The kale is in this morning's breakfast.  I'm thankful it's still producing.

I got up extra early this morning, to make a fresh hot breakfast (not a reheated one Hubby usually takes to work).  Why?  Well, ha ha!  Oh boy.  I watched him walk out the door with pancakes on a plate with syrup and a fork.  There was no stopping him either.  It could have been bad with him driving and eating pancakes to work.  He arrived safely and on time, but today he'll not get away with do that.  

I'm making omelets - onion, red pepper, potatoes, ham and kale.  Gotta get them greens ya' know.




4 comments:

Unknown said...

I’m impressed that you can still hang clothes to dry. I have one of those umbrella lines that go inside when the snow starts blowing. We moved here from SE Mich. where, one year, I was able to hang clothes at least once in every month. I was thrilled about that! I did have to shovel a path to the line, but still.....Hanging clothes is an easy way to save on the electric bills.
Have a fabulous day!
Debbie

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debbie, I have shoveled snow to hang laundry out before too, ha ha! It always smells so good too. And yes,it helps reduce our electric bill tremendously.

RB said...

The BBQ sauce looks luscious, so rich and red. Yum!!!
Have off work tomorrow. Went today for last minute things for Thanksgiving dinner, and boy - the traffic was terrible.
Glad to have everything I need and be back home away from the rush.
Prayers everyone has their best Thanksgiving yet, and if things get tense with family, remember - "Patience is a virtue." ~William Langland, The Vision of Piers Plowman, c 1370
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, thank you! I pray your holiday is blessed!