Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, October 6, 2017

Pumpkin Soup ~ Tidbits

I have never made pumpkin soup of any sort, so this year I did. I roasted one entire pumpkin for this soup. 

The recipe in my "pile" or "stash" called for potatoes.  I did some searching, and found there are so many ways to make this soup.

I didn't follow the pumpkin and red lentil soup recipe I found online, but adjusted it to what I had.  I seasoned it with home canned hot sauce and garlic both fresh (heated with the onion) and some garlic powder to add more flavor.

 I served it with a dollop of sour cream, and freshly chopped parsley.  Some of it is going in the freezer.  The hens are happy gals too.  They are getting the pumpkin "guts" for a treat.

The taste test with the soup?


Delicious!   I used 2 carrots and 2 potatoes in my soup, as well as the pumpkin.


Guess what arrived at the library?

  This book is gonna get me in trouble, ha ha!  Lots of fun projects.

It's not the best photo, but I made this a day or so ago - stove top "taco" pasta.  I created it with a pound of organic ground beef, mixed with homemade dry taco mix, some home canned zucchini salsa, some home canned taco sauce, a bit of home canned tomato sauce, etc.  Boy it was good.  We sprinkled a bit of cheese on top and devoured it.  The organic ground beef we like is $9/lb. so we eat it sparingly.   I need to restock again.  The noodles are store bought (also organic).

As I watched out the window, and leaves fell from the trees, I am reminded of my dried leaf creation (which is still framed and on the wall).

   You can read about that post "here."  I am wondering if I should make another one this fall.

Update on the spider bites - no more doctor visits!  Woo hoo!  No more gauze.  No more rolled gauze (biggest expense). 


5 comments:

RB said...

I LOVE soups, and that pumpkin soup looks so warming and wonderful. Plus, the pumpkin and carrots in it would make it high in beta carotene and very healthy indeed.
I'm going to have to try that taco pasta. It wouldn't be difficult to mix one's own taco filling recipe together with pasta, and you could even use chicken or beans instead of the beef.
Can't stay on the computer for long, because my back, shoulders and arms down to each elbow are still spasming and painful.
Prayers everyone has a wonderful and safe weekend.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I think beans would work good too in the taco pasta. Even chicken. I hope you feel better soon. So sorry you are in so much pain.

RB said...

Thank you Kristina. Having a good day today. I pray it's the end of these spasms and not just a day of respite from them.
God bless.
RB
<><

Rain said...

Congrats!!! No more doctor visits warms my heart lol, I hate doctors and hospitals so much...the pumpkin soup looks delicious! I've made squash soup before and that's awesome too, especially with the sour cream!! :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, I am super happy with the spider bites healing up. So frustrating to deal with it. I think my kids are getting tired of so much pumpkin lately, ha ha!