Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, October 6, 2017

Overnight Breakfast Recipe

Sharing the recipe as promised.  I'll get the sweet potato pie recipe up soon too.   You are getting two blogposts today, due to this. . .


Woke up to this again.  Rain.  I can't do garden work, work on the barn siding, barn rubble, nor weed the last of the flower bed either.  The rain has been playing havoc on getting outdoor work completed.  And because I'm out of bacon fat, I don't want to roast the last 8 pumpkins either.  No way am I roasting them without roasting the seeds.  My whiskey-bacon pumpkin seeds went super duper fast.  Lick-ity split fast.  I'm out of bacon and whiskey.  Oh, don't worry.  I'll be tearing apart my vacuum sweeper and tackling some cleaning, getting another article written, and possibly some porch time and handiwork in the mean time.

Back to the recipe.

.
I know I complicate things by using homemade ingredients, so if you don't want the extra work, just use store bought.  Most of the ingredients can be purchased organic as well (vs. making it).

I have provided links to my blog, where the "homemade" ingredient recipes can be located.  

I told you I like to complicate a recipe, didn't I?  Ha ha!

 (before adding cheese on top)

Overnight Breakfast Casserole
There is no rule to how much meat you add to this.  I used:

8 oz. of organic bacon, cooked and torn into small pieces
1/2 to 3/4 lb. of cooked homemade sausage*

Layer 2 1/2 cups of homemade herbed croutons in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish (lightly oiled or sprayed with non-stick spray).


In a small skillet saute:
1/2 onion, diced
fresh mushrooms, chopped (or 1 can, 4.5 oz. drained)
1 jalapeno, finely diced, optional

Allow to cool while mixing the next ingredients.


In a bowl, mix:

2 1/4 cups milk*
6 eggs
1 "can" homemade condensed mushroom soup 
1 - 10 oz.  package of frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
1/4 tsp. dry mustard*


Fold meats and mushroom mix into the wet mixture and gently pour over the croutons.

Bake at 325°F for 50-60 minutes, or until set.  

I topped ours with a small bit of Monterrey Jack cheese just after taking it from the oven.  It is very hot to eat right away, so we let it sit for a few minutes and the cheese melted nicely on top.


*how I make homemade croutons:  here
*how I make homemade condensed mushroom soup:  here
*how I make the homemade sausage:  here
(original recipe calls for "spicy" sausage, if you make homemade, you can add extra red pepper flakes too)
  
The homemade ingredients can be made any time and placed into the freezer until needed.  

I purchase my dry mustard bulk due to using so much with canning.  It is sold organic that way. 

I'm thinking of cutting the milk back a bit, or adding a 1/2 cup more croutons.  I felt it took longer to get the center of this dish to cook all the way through.  I'm considering using other greens too - dandelion, collards, beet greens, turnip greens, swiss chard perhaps?  Just my thoughts on this.

10 comments:

Susan said...

Homemade/grown ingredients may complicate a recipe, but it makes it so much better! This looks absolutely delicious!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, you are right about it tasting good. We only have 3 meat eaters here and it went very fast when I made it. Yum.

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Looks good (apart from the meat as I'm a vegetarian!!!). Don't much like the look of your rain though!
Thx for visiting my blog, and yes the Finish for the Weekend is done every Friday, the link up stays open til Monday noon (UK time). Hope to see you joining in soon!
Jillxo

mamasmercantile said...

It is raining here too so the little jobs I had planned will have to wait. The recipes look amazing, well done you for having all homemade/grown ingredients. I can only imagine the taste...yummy.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Jill, you may be the one who helps me get some handiwork projects done. Oh, and I have one vegetarian still living at home, so I do make vegetarian dishes often, or just leave meat out for her serving.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, I have so many cleaning projects on my list right now - clean ceiling fans, wash more curtains, etc etc. An on-going rainy day list for most, but for curtains, I hang dry them. I enjoy making my homemade ingredients. Thanks.

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm said...

That looks delicious and I grew up with home made and that's how my family still cooks. As soon as I finish unpacking boxes from my big move, I'll churn some Jersey cream into butter. Then will have the butter with home made biscuits and Daddy's honey and friend Nancy's fresh eggs.
If people got a taste of homemade, there would be a revolution!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sandra, you are right. Homemade is not just good, but healthy.

Rain said...

I love the combination of egg and sausage, that's how I make my frittatas. Breakfast looks great! Even though the rain is bothersome right now, that photo is really nice.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, I think this is the first time for me to bake with both bacon and sausage in one dish. Thanks for the compliment on the photo.