Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Barn Siding ~ Getting our Legumes ~ Red lentil burgers ~ Beet Hummus

Sorry if this is a boring post about beans, but I have a few new recipes to share - from "pile to file" keepers.  I've found my voice this month, so watch out for long posts.  I think I have blog-i-tis this October.  I can't blame the weather either.  It's been hot out again.

The only other news, is that while I was sitting on the porch with leg up sipping my hot herbal tea yesterday, a car hit a deer just yards from our north drive.  The driver pulled over (a young girl), and the deer flopped around on the road for a few seconds, then got up and ran off.  The same area a car hit one early morning not long ago.  There is a corn field adjacent and north of our property.  

 Before


We also got some barn siding removed last night.  We are tired folks.  Simply tired.

We've been eating more beans than meat lately.  It helps the budget as well as our health.  These meals were over a period of time.
I soaked a bag of organic black beans for all sorts of meals/snacks.  We love it on a burrito for any meal - add scrambled eggs, any leftover rice/veggie mix, jalapenos or cowboy candy, or yellow squash relish (or radish relish)...more total goodness.  

I'll have a post regarding the yellow squash relish soon. 

(these are broiled)

I have also made red lentil burgers for the first time.
  I was told about them, but never received the recipe, so I went searching online.  Click "here" for the recipe.  I had a handful of garden carrots at the time.   The recipe also has a yogurt sauce you can make to top these (I am able to use homemade yogurt), but we opted to top with home canned goods.  Also, then next time I make these, I'll add some greens to them.


Topped with home canned yellow squash relish.  Recipe is located online with Taste of Home.


Topped with home canned Cowboy Candy.  Recipe is very available online.

The only thing I did different with the Cumin-Spiced Red Lentil Burger recipe, was the bread crumbs.  I used 1/4 cup ground up homemade herbed croutons, and 1/2 cup of ground oats vs. 3/4 cup of bread crumbs.  I will use all oats next time too.  The garlic gives it good flavor.  Oh, I used 3 cloves of garlic too.

Speaking of red lentils - I have a recipe for red lentil hummus too.  Somewhere.  I need to make that again soon.

And speaking of hummus. . .


I made a new hummus recipe - Beet Hummus.   You can locate the recipe at Rodale's OrganicLife online.  I simply thawed my frozen (cooked) garden beets and tossed them into the food processor with all the ingredients.  

Results?  Very good!  I like that it uses more of what I grow, way less Tahini (expensive) and way less oil. I love the color, and it's now on my "potluck" meal idea list.  This may be an appetizer for this year's Thanksgiving. The recipe suggests eating it with sweet potato chips.  I may even make my own when I dig up my sweet potatoes.

I also made a batch of taco joe dip.  It's meat-less, and cheese-less, provides more black and kidney beans in our diet, stretches the food as well.  Vegetarian daughter eats it as a meal.  I however, am running low on home canned crushed tomatoes.  Oh, for that recipe, I use home canned crushed tomatoes (not stewed), my own homemade taco dry mix, and the corn we freeze.  And we like to add jalapenos to it too.

I had a few last jars of green tomato salsa, so I added black beans and corn for a lunch or snack, or to top eggs with. 

On the menu this week?  Sweet potato vegetarian chili.  Recipe is also online with Real Simple (Slow-Cooker Vegetarian Chili).  It's one of our favorites to use home grown sweet potatoes in, and it calls for kidney and black beans.


4 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

My goodness I can't keep up with you, you are an inspiration.

Nancy In Boise said...

Are you vegetarians? Just wondering. I make spicy black bean cakes, yummy!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, I love it when a new recipe is a winner, but I need to stop collecting so many, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Little Homestead, we are not all vegetarians, but I love to cook with any type of beans. I have your recipe in my "try-it" pile, and will be tasting it soon. We have one vegetarian living here, so I do try meatless meals too.