Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, September 3, 2017

Grilling ~ More Tomatoes ~ Dinky Bell Peppers/Carrots ~ Chilly Temps

We recently grilled burgers and we took advantage of that open jar of canned caramelized onions.

 Mmm.  Goodness.  Grilled organic / non-gmo beef burgers, topped with swiss cheese, canned onions, and home canned ketchup.  I should have mixed some hot peppers and greens into the beef, but I was just so hungry, ha ha ha!

(15 lbs.)


Made a trip to the jungle with a complaining daughter (rolling my eyes).  We brought in 46.2 more lbs. of delicious tomatoes.   They are very small compared to last year, but I'm thankful for what we are getting. "Grad" Daughter brought in 9.7 lbs of the bounty (with much bickering and whining), and acting as if she had picked 100 lbs. 

The tomatoes will have to wait a few days until I make a plan on what needs made.  Possibilities are taco sauce, more tomato sauce, freezing more, tomato-basil soup, more ketchup, etc.



Bell peppers are dinky.  I can fit two in my hand, they are that dinky.  I won't be able to stuff and freeze these, so I hope the produce stand down the road has some larger ones.



I picked a few carrots for chowder, and they too are dinky compared to past years.  I'll take what I get, but it's been a so-so garden year.


No need to send the "recovery police" out on me, ha ha!  I have been taking to the porch, with my leg up, and an ice pack every day.  I

 Photos are from yesterday.  I took a hot cup of ginger (freshly grated) tea and new crochet work to the porch to work on while my leg rested.  I have a writing project that I can work on this next week too, so I have back-up porch fun, if I don't feel like doing handiwork.

I had my foot up for about 30 minutes, before Hubby rolled in the drive.  I was confused.  He was 1/2 hour earlier than usual, and he went straight to the bedroom to put on biker boots an said, "I need to twist the throttle."  He had ants in his pants for sure, so I got my boots on too, and away we went.  Don't worry.  It was a local ride, and we were home before dark.  The chowder however, was still in the crock pot, so we enjoyed some of that late in the evening.

We are so not ready for winter - wood needs split pronto, lick-ity split pronto.   

I finally have my husband's time today, and what do you know?

The sky is dark and rain looms over us.  It is not in the forecast, but we've had rain recently, on days where it was not predicted.  It's been a nice cool temperature, but the heat will slowly rise today and tomorrow - rising to the mid 80's again. 

Summer is not over yet. 

2 comments:

Rain said...

Hi Kristina :) I'm really jealous of your tomato haul. Mine are still green, but it's so darn cold here, 14C is the high today. Sad summer. And the price of tomatoes at the market doesn't make it worth canning any for the winter. We'll have to do with what we have or do without I guess! Your burger...omg...drool... :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, like most gardener's I may have a somewhat good haul of tomatoes (a 5th of what we grew last year), but have no onions, no broccoli, no cauliflower, no kohlrabi, and no turnips. I have to buy those. I'm thankful for what I do get though.