Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, September 2, 2017

A Bit of Stocking Up ~ A Good - Dirty Apron Week


(before sauce reduced to half)

It's been a canner-ganza week.  I'm thankful for that too, and we haven't checked our pears yet (no apples or plums this year again). 

Homemaking goes to a new level when you homestead as well.  It's not just cleaning, tidying up, dusting, paying bills, vacuuming, sweeping, purging, baking, cooking, washing dishes, getting kids to appointments and off to school.....it's hard work.  My kids hate me this time of year, ha ha!  Literally.  Deep down, I know they appreciate it.

I'm looking forward to a huge crock pot of delicious chili soon.  All these tomatoes are making me hungry.

Got coffee?  Tea?  Adult beverage (ha ha!) 
You may need one to sip while you read through today's post.  Sorry for the length.  Like I said - a busy kitchen week.



I used about 23 pounds of those delicious tomatoes, to can up some seasoned tomato sauce (recipe is in the Ball Blue Book).


I used pint jars this time.  Smaller meal planning.



I had those hot banana peppers that were looking so good...



I canned hot banana pepper mustard sauce - 8 1/2 pints.  If you are wanting the recipe, you can find it on my blog here.  This cans fairly quickly (using a food processor for grinding up peppers), and it's wonderful on meatballs, chicken, turkey, rice, etc.


The jalapenos I picked were looking grand too, so I sliced them up.  I had 2.7 lbs. of my own homegrown, and only have to find about 5-6 more peppers to complete this (see notes below however).
(took me an hour to slice all of these - one kiddo wimped out on me)


I canned one batch of cowboy candy.  You can find this recipe all over the internet today.   Most recipes call for 3 lbs, but I have now discovered 3 1/2 is better - fuller jars. When I weighed 3, I forgot to account for cutting off the tops.  I didn't get completely full jars (hence the 3 1/2 lbs recommendation).  We love this on breakfast burritos, burgers, cream cheese and crackers etc.


A batch of zucchini salsa was prepped.


Day 1 - veggies/hot peppers chopped and salt added.


Day 2 - tomatoes boiled and tossed in ice water to peel and chopped....


10 pints of zucchini salsa canned. The very last of what I called the "usable" zucchini.  The giant bats left in the garden will feed my hennies for a week.




Russian Kale was harvested, blanched and froze for meals. 


I also started a jar (no photo due to secrecy) of a secret Christmas present possibility.  I should have doubled it, so if it works out, I'll need to make it again very soon. 



I canned a batch of corn relish, which I needed to restock.  By the way, what is you favorite way to use corn relish?  We like it on mashed potatoes, to top burgers and fish, mix it into rice, top tacos, top breakfast burritos, add to salsa, and to mix into greens or green beans.  I would love to get new ideas to try.



More tomatoes were put into the freezer. I'll be putting a bit more in the freezer today yet. 



I also started digging potatoes, carefully, with my leg bandaged tightly.  Enough for one dinner and one breakfast.  This was only about 4 feet of both types too.  I have a lot to dig up, including sweet potatoes. This was Hubby's job, but he had to work, so I started it.

The red (Red Norland) didn't do well where I planted them - hard dirt, small potatoes.  The white (Kennebec) did great.  Softer soil, larger potatoes.  I'll have to note that in my homesteading journal.  I think we have peat moss in the barn, and we'll need to work compost or peat moss into the area of where the Red Norland are getting dug up.

I'm considering trying to save the dinky tades, for planting next spring.  No basement.  No root cellar.  Should be a fun challenge.  I have saved zucchini seeds now too, but zero of the yellow straight neck squash. I plan to go hunting in the jungle for any left, and seed them if I can.

Hubby worked until 1am then went back to work this morning early.

I was up early, but discombobulated with the long strange (and busy) week.  I woke up thinking, not only was it Friday, but I had to get a kid out of bed for the bus (who is actually sleeping at a friends house, ha ha ha ha!).  Oye.  Yeah.  I need more sleep I think, ha ha ha!

Since Hubby is working his full-time (over-time) job, that means the outdoor work waits (again).  Where is that 5 million dollars?  So I can hire help and get this stuff done?  

Sigh...

Patience....

Well, today I at least have tomatoes to keep my mind off winter prep, but I need to not only dig potatoes, I need to pick tomatoes (if I have any).  The swelling continues to go down in my leg, so I may even attempt to start weeding the jungle of a flower bed.

Maybe.

Thanks for reading today. Have a joyous day and may it be fun, prosperous, and yet relaxing too.  Take those 5 minutes for yourself.  I will be.  Words of wisdom from my late Aunt.

12 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

You are amazing with how much you get canned! Good for you! I straightened my pantry and organized it so I know how much I have as I will start ensuring I have plenty stocked up before winter. Also, the freezer sort of got cleaned out but not totally. I'm so happy to finally be going through stuff and cleaning out as I have lots more shelf room now! Harvey (the remains) is coming your way I think so get your produce out of the garden! They mentioned Ohio on the weather last night. Have a great weekend!

Mama Pea said...

How do you get so much canning/preserving done when you're supposed to be keeping your leg elevated?? Hmmmm? Need we send the recovery police out to your place?

All your efforts are making for luscious looking food for the winter.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, most of what's in the garden, aside from tomatoes, hot peppers and green peppers, are root veggies. I hope we don't get really bad weather too. It's been very windy here.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, canning mustard sauce goes very quickly, but not so with cowboy candy (sigh). I can put my leg up while tomatoes reduce for most sauce related items too. I am getting a daughter to pick tomatoes today, and she isn't liking me too much, ha ha ha! As soon as the tomatoes are frozen, my leg will go up for sure. I still have a long list of winter food prep to do, as well as outdoor prep. Chimney needs swept too.

Nancy In Boise said...

Looks great! I'm starting on our apples tomorrow. Will do kale/collard greens. My fave way to use corn relish is just as a carb side dish. We love it! I don't can mine just stick in the back of the fridge.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Little Homestead, thanks for the tip on the relish. You are so lucky to have apples. I hope we get some next year.

deb harvey said...

corn relish- i don't know what is in it but i have put veggies in meatloaf and corn in cornbread.

clamp the potatoes. 'the deliberate agrarian' has instructions for clamping.
he has a new site but the old name should get you there.
good for preserving most root crops through winter.

RB said...

Wow!!! You have been busy. I pray that spider bite is getting better and better with each day.
I was remembering the scent of canning tomatoes, such a warm comforting scent. And at the end of the growing season when we had those little taters, our mom would fry them up whole like French fries, then roll them in salt and serve them, and boy - were they ever good.
Prayers everyone has a great holiday weekend, and a safe one too.
Remember to take time to smell the flowers. They won't be around much longer this year.
God bless.
RB
<><

Bits of Stitching! said...

How good that you are feeling better!
You surely got done a lot in the garden and kitchen, hope you got
a well deserve rest!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Bits of Stitching, I do feel much better. Every day my spider bites look better too. Thank you.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Deborah, thank you for that site. I have found it too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, thanks. You have a good holiday weekend too!