Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Beets, Housework, Preparing for Winter, and Handiwork


While beets boiled in their skins, I read a short story in a magazine to get an idea of what is expected of submissions.  


And laundry was washed and put out on the line.  

Bathrooms were scrubbed by help from the kids, and floors cleaned.  By the way, my Grad Daughter has now been taught to boil potatoes and eggs both.  I hope she keeps up on her learning skills.


I sorted more mail...so glad when its junk or the kids mail.

Beets were sliced and went into the freezer.  More beets are growing (Yay!).  I added 30 more servings to the freezer.

I stood, staring at the sewing machine, and decided it can wait another day.


Green beans were picked (more, yay!). Not many, but some.


Zucchini pancakes were made and put into the freezer to prepare for a school year and winter.  The pancakes will come in handy for Hubby's go-to breakfast as well.  I have lots of zucchini that is overgrown, so shredding it is in full swing right now. These are very dense, and packed with grains - whole wheat and all purpose flour, oats, cornmeal, etc.

Handiwork was enjoyed at the end of the evening.  I am so happy to have a few minutes to work on items.  I do need to visit a yarn store soon though.  I have calld 4 or 5 already. Unfortunately.  I didn't want to buy more, but the yarn store call-eth.  If I can find-eth it.  The baby blanket yarn was discontinued (of course it was), and I have 6 inches or so left to do on it.  I am on the hunt for something even remotely close to it, or it gets ripped completely out and I guess baby hats made or something. I found a skein of it on ebay.  Guess how much?  $15.95.  Not worth it.  I couldn't sell the blanket to make up for that expense.  I'll keep looking.  For now.  If not. Rip, rip, rip away.

I woke up to notes.  One from Hubby to Youngest telling her she better get a cleaning job done.  One from Grad daughter to me, apologizing for not doing her dishes, and a list that the kids wrote out to complete today.



4 comments:

Susan said...

Kristina, email me the yarn you are looking for - I may be able to find it cheaper. That's great that your daughters are getting interested in cooking (and helping you in the process!) It will sure come in handy when they are living on their own. I have had my sewing machine on the dining room table for two weeks. I think it is mocking me by now.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, thanks. I will email you. I know what you mean about the mocking sewing machine, ha ha!

Sam I Am...... said...

Yes, let us know what the yarn is as maybe one of us has it in our stash! I have lots of old, no longer made yarn. I didn't know you could freeze beets...nice to know. I put out my sewing machine too....but there it sits...today is mowing!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, the yarn is Caron, One Pound Baby, in Mauve. It looks like lavender. I have a photo of me crocheting it on a past blog post. I found one skein on ebay, but way too expensive. I honestly thought I measured and had enough.