Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Wonky, fra-dazzled day....

I started the day by skipping my work out one more time.  I just thought another day of resting up was in order.

After working outdoors, which seemed rather short, I gravitated to the kitchen.

The night before must have started something, or it's these meds that are making me feel wonky.  I had to rip out an entire, almost completely done, knitted dishcloth.  I have no idea where I messed up, nor how.  I have made quite a few, and this was not such a happy moment.

Back to yesterday. . .


I had a fight with the last butternut squash.  I won.  It's chopped up for today.  I have no idea what I'll do with it just yet.  Just one less thing I have to do this morning.


I made a different recipe for blueberry bread.   The kids like it.

I had some leftover sweet corn, so I added some green tomato salsa I canned last fall, and some organic black beans.  The sweetness of the corn seems to suck the heat out of it, so I added fire powder, and wa-la a snack for the family.  Nom, nom, nom.


Lunch was a grilled cheese and home canned green tomato chutney sandwich.  It gave it a sweet taste, but was pretty good.


I need to stay out of my closet.  I found an old project I re-connected with. I had put it to the side, because the first attempt was not good.  The second was not good either.  For some reason, I get it messed up and just stop where I am at.  I just fastened off and made a small doily.  Yarn isn't my best friend for some reason.  I blame the meds.  I feel like I'm walking in a tunnel or something.  So tired too. Oye.  Beam me up Scotty!

I once again retreated to the kitchen.  I was doing better there than with yarn.  I even tried to read.  Ha.  Couldn't focus.  I put down the book I have be reading on and off (more off than on).

I started a crock pot of steel cut oats with apples and raisins.  I forgot to take a photo, but you get the idea.  The kitchen was my friend for the day.



Another "winner dinner" recipe from Clean Eating.  It's Sesame Noodles with Asparagus and Carrots.  I also used green onions and asparagus from the garden.  It only lacked the toasted sesame seeds, but was delicious.  Eat it hot or cold.  Yum.

10 comments:

Rain said...

Hi Kristina :) The grilled cheese looks great and so does the corn salad! I always feel "off" when I have to take meds, I hate it. I hope you feel better soon!

Sam I Am...... said...

So sorry your 'crafting' isn't going well but boy you sure made up for it in the kitchen! That's where I'll be today! I have to do 'outside' work when the sun shines and inside when it rains.....the weather really dictates what I will be doing come Spring and Summer and Fall. About the only time I am totally inside is Winter...except for walking or hiking. The bread looks delicious and I am definitely going over to Clean Eating today! Your doily is precious. I find I have to really concentrate on my knitting and crocheting if it is not just straight stitches. If there's a pattern I have to really focus! LOL!

Vicki said...

Those days will make a person crazy after a while. I am a coward. On wonky days I grab my green fuzzy blanket, my Kindle and make a beeline for my recliner. Although I may have to try the kitchen therapy. That blueberry bread looks delicious.

Susan said...

Lucky family, that you were 'forced' to stay in the kitchen! That food - all of it - looks glorious! I like the last recipe and I will try it with rice noodles. I'm always looking for something fast. Hope you're back to normal soon.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Rain. I feel a bit better today.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, the family loved the pasta dish. There isn't much leftover today.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Vicki, was just plain odd that I was functioning perfectly in the kitchen, but when it came to handiwork it was a fail. Ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, the pasta dish was delicious! The entire family loved it.

RB said...

I take a day completely off here and there too whenever work and duties allow me. It gives me a bit of a respite and a fresh restart too, I think.
It all looks so yummy. I saw a recipe on TV, The Chew again, where Clinton Kelly added cooked/mashed butternut squash to cheesy pasta, like mac and cheese with squash added. Sounded good, and everyone liked it. Might be something to try.
Here it's working to catch up laundry. All the cats have their blankets and two extra that I switch out. I like to wash one load of them each day and hang them out to dry, but 3 days of rain put me behind, so now it's catch up time. I love hanging flats like blankets, sheets, towels, washcloths, out on the line to dry because it makes them smell so good and so absorbent too.
Hope everyone has a great weekend planned. Be safe.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I make a macaroni and cheese pasta with pumpkin, so butternut would work nicely too. I'll have to look that recipe up. Yum.