Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Random Tidbits

I woke up yesterday to find out it would get up to 83°F.  I had no idea until I read an email from Mom.  Golly.  I high tailed outside to water everything, then right back to the chicken coop for a good cleaning. 

The ladies will be in their coop for the next few rainy days.  Hubby and I have to put the run back in.  Yikes.

One lady was refusing to leave.  I was okay with that.  She looks like she was giving me the "stink eye" while I worked, ha ha!
  


You wouldn't think rain is in the forecast after this morning's gorgeous sunrise either, but it is.  Later.  And all weekend.  My list is long, so I won't be without "to-do's."  

My afternoon work yesterday gravitated into the house for a few hours.  The farmer's all around us were busy tilling their crops, and the dust was a' flyin'!  The two fields adjacent to our property were recently topped with manure of all things.  In all the years we've lived here they have never used manure.  

We found out that when our nuisance neighbor's business was shut down the family was forced to sell some of their farm land to pay back his customers (who bought tickets to the event that never happened).  The person who bought the land, is one of the customers. 

First thing we did was contact Water and Soil.  They came out make sure it won't contaminate our well.  I believe we are in the clear, but we don't take chances like that.  It will smell for a few days for sure.

Since the dust was flying too badly to sit on the porch and read through my stack of library books, or do handiwork, I came in for some laundry and simply put it in racks in the house.  There was no way I was hanging it outside - smell, farm dust, etc.

Pinto beans went into the crock pot, and I made a nettle tea infusion to sit for the day.  I had about an hour to do "something" productive (before the kiddos got home), but I was tempted to not clean a dang thing.

The dogs.... 

We have two dogs that have learned to open their container we keep their food in.  I tried duct tape, but now we put a paint can on top (which reminds me I have doors to paint this spring).

I saw that our Vet-Tech-in-Training daughter, in her preparation to move out, bought this for her own dog.  It has a screw top center lid, and it keeps the ants and any moisture out too.  Dog proofed for sure.  I plan on asking her where she purchased it.  She said the kennel she works for uses them.

10 comments:

Sandra said...

It does look like rain for many days here too. Indoor projects!

Susan said...

Farmers around our area spread manure, too. I'd rather manure than any chemical fertilizer, however. My one dairy farmer neighbor does not 'enhance' his manure, so it is bearable. The big dairy farm lets their sit in tanks and 'ferment'. It is so strong that you can't breath outside for a day. I'm not looking forward to the spring spreading! Great idea for dog food containment! I tell you, these dogs are too much, aren't they?

Rain said...

Hi Kristina :) I HATE nuisance neighbours...we're lucky, ours are just weekenders, but still, that's too often for us. I used to have a neighbour who burned everything and anything he could get his hands on, and if I ever put my laundry out, it smelled like smoke, so I eventually gave up and did what you did, used the racks inside. Can't seem to get away from bothersome people...I hope that'll change for us in a few years time.

Our cat Oscar can open cabinets so I used those child-proof white plastic clip thingies and he can't figure out how to open those (yet!). We had a huge issue with the dogs opening up the garbage cans...so we put some of those strong adhesive hooks on - one on the top and the other on the front side of the garbage; and clipped a bungee cord to keep it closed, so far it's working. But we normally keep all the food in a trunk with a lock on it...better safe than sorry!

Sam I Am...... said...

It was nice today so I got laundry on the line and headed to Walmart as, like you, there is more rain coming and we already have flash flood warnings (I'm not really worried here though). Yes, starting tomorrow and all weekend 3-7 inches of rain.
As for the dog food, Walmart has big plastic 'pickle jars' that are about 1 1/2 feet tall with a screw on lid and handle but I use a plastic garbage can with a lid. That one in your picture looks pricy! LOL!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sandra, I am glad to see rain, even if it means work indoors, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, they came out and our well is in the clear, and we found out the farmer used chicken manure vs. cow. They came out two or three days later and plowed it in thankfully. Yes, these dogs can be a handful, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, that's funny about the cat. I found Tiger trying to look in cupboards one time.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, I have yet to see daughter to ask. She works and goes to school so often. We buy dog food in larger amounts, because of how far out we live, and she even buys her own dog food (non-gmo too!).

RB said...

Been hot hot hot here too. Have all the window a/cs going, and it's nice in the house. Have cats out in their kennels, covered on top with a heavy sheet to keep sun out, and with food and fresh water out there, they seem to be doing fine, though I do check on them from time to time to ensure they don't want to come in the house.
The farmers around us manure their fields every year. It's pungent for a time (when we were young, one of the kids, Bro Tim I think, said "Awww, smell that fresh country air" lol), but it must be safe or I believe the county would be on them about it.
We have 5-gallon lidded buckets that we keep our various animal feeds in. They seem to be ant safe and animal safe - so far anyway. LOL
Last year, we had problems with ants in the kitchen. It almost drove me nuts until I figured out bay leaves keep them out of everything. I found small celophane bags of bay leaves in the Hispanic section of the grocery store for $.69 each, so I bought one for every cupboard and drawer in the kitchen, and haven't had a problem with them since. Yayyy!!!
Suppose to rain tomorrow, maybe even storm. Surprisingly, even after 3 days and 5" of rain last weekend, it's dry here again because it's been so hot.
Prayers for a great week ahead for everyone, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, thank you for the tip with bay leaves and ants. I haven't tried that one yet.