Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, April 28, 2017

Nettle ~ Black Eyed Pea Spread ~ Gratitude

I harvested another huge pot of stinging nettle yesterday.  Before the rain arrived.  It's been a very good year for me to actually get things done in a more timely fashion.  I hope to harvest more.


I got out there early, before the bees woke up.  We have bees everywhere right now.  



I picked more than would fit in the dehydrator, so I blanched the rest for the next breakfast or pasta dish.  Nettle can be used in any dish you would use spinach or other greens.  Did you know 1 cup of cooked nettle contains 428mg of calcium?  Dandelion, 1 cup boiled contains 147mg of calcium.  According to the internet, those are the figures I found.  Hm.  A huge difference. No wonder my teas helped my hair and nails. 


What's on the breakfast plate?
  


Butternut Squash/Dandelion Egg Scramble.  I made it up as I cooked it.  While cooking, I noticed a stone truck enter the driveway.  Oh happy day!


New recipe ~ Black Eyed Pea Spread.  It's online at Eating Well.  It is a nice substitute for hummus, as you can control the amount of garlic.  It tastes just like hummus, it's just green vs. white, due to the parsley in it.

Speaking of parsley, it is high in vitamin K, which is needed for bone, brain and eye health.  And it contains other good vitamins and minerals. 


Black eyed peas have a good amount of calcium.  I wouldn't hurt for me to eat more of them, so I tried the recipe.

You can use it place of mayo on a sandwich, or eat it like you would hummus, or even top an appetizer with it.  

I used organic canned, because it was what I had in my pantry.  I have a running list to order some dry.  Our grocers do not sell them dry. 


I am so very thankful for:

-the school for arranging us stone, and for filling in the pot holes and shoveling the stone for us.

-for finding my lost earring, found it in the barn the other day, and was tickled pink.  Had to sanitize it, but I thought it was a "goner."

-the rain we are getting. Our asparagus is still providing. So thankful for that too.

I am now a firm believer that when you remove negative energy from your life and home, life is grand, things run smoother, things get done, and there is a heightened sense of motivation.  Even the plants seem happier. 

10 comments:

Susan said...

Thank you for the reminder about nettles! Last year, I missed them completely. Also - thank you SO much for this recipe! I have six jars of black-eyed peas that I canned two years ago that need using!

Rain said...

Your breakfast looks yummy! I'm with you, all negativity must go! I mean, we all have some days when it plagues us, but most days I try my best not to allow it. When I have a bad moment, I have a little mantra that I say to myself while I breathe deeply "my mind, my spirit, my heart are free, no negativity will enter me"...I say it about 5 times and then think of something positive and it usually works :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I missed nettles last year too. You are welcome. We love the taste of the new recipe. Yum.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain,thank you. I love it when I have time to be creative at breakfast.

Sam I Am...... said...

I love your breakfast...yum!!! I too will not allow negativity in any form if I can help it. I have a sign on my door that says 'Nobody gets in to see the wizard....not nobody, not no how! "...from the Wizard of Oz. I like to keep the "riff-raff" away! LOL!

RB said...

I too am a firm believer in removing negativity from one's life and home. I believe negativity is as powerful a source of believing as positivity is, but unlike positivity, its results are negative, and no one needs that.
Prayers everyone's having a wonderful weekend, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, I love your sign, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you RB.

Sandra said...

I still have yet to make nettle tea.
Looks like you are keeping busy!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sandra, I feel like the to-do list is never-ending, ha ha!