Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Dogs ~ More Planting ~ Asparagus Leftovers

Updated photos to share:  Zuri - mountain cur mix

King - black lab/German Shepherd mix

 Jesse (the oldest) a completely unknown mix, possibly beagle and husky.  He belongs to the daughter moving out.  we asked her if we get "grand parent" visits.  I know he'll miss us.


What's being planted?  Hubby and I planted a northern red oak to add some color to the property.  We also planted new rosemary, oregano, chive plants Today, we plan on planting a new rose bush, and more June bearing strawberry plants.
 

Do you remember the shaved asparagus salad recipe I shared?  The recipe states to "discard" the remaining stems, but I chopped them up and added them to a tomato sauce/pasta dish. Yum! 

Hubby and I quit early yesterday.  We were both feeling "under the weather."  We literally turned on the TV and watched old movies, ate dinner in bed, and just relaxed.

I'm still fighting laryngitis. Hubby and I both think it's from my early allergies.  So far hot ginger tea with freshly squeezed lemon and mullein tea have give me the most relief.  I've tried everything under the sun, other than thieves cough drops. I am however, trying Burt's Bees honey/eucalyptus drops (which are helping, but I just found yesterday).  I also made a "tea" with anise, and have been spraying it on the back of my throat.  I even looked through my Rosemary Gladstar books and other herbal books.  

This morning, I'll be looking through one essential oil book I have.  I have already rubbed a carrier oil mixed with eucalyptus oil in the area of my lymph nodes (slightly swollen this morning).   I'll most likely do a steam inhalation with eucalyptus too.

I may have an underlying infection that is causing it (praying it's not), and (gulp), may need to see a doctor.  Has anyone made their own penicillin? Or purchased Fish-pen or Fish-mox and taken that?  

10 comments:

Yarrow said...

Zuri is very like our dog Echo, who is a Boxer/Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. She's a character for sure :D

Mama Pea said...

I know you mentioned you haven't had any Thieves cough drops, but do you have Thieves oil? A drop or two of that ingested in a small glass of water will get into your system PDQ and attack an possible low-grade infection you might be fighting. Take care, Kristina.

Rain said...

Hi Kristina, I hope you get better and don't have to see a doctor!! Wow, if you can make your own penicillin, that would be so unbelievable...your dogs are so adorable, even the door-locking King ;) Jesse has eyes like my Marlene, she's a husky shepherd mix. The rest of him...not sure what kind of mix he looks like.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Yarrow, Zuri is rather on the calm side, but she can really chew stuff up, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I do not. I guess I'll have to invest in it now. Thanks for that tip.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, Jesse had sisters that had husky in them, so he may have be husky. He's our "bird" dog. His motto for live is "if it flies then it dies." He spots eagles, vultures and hawks before I do.

Sam I Am...... said...

So sorry you are still fighting off a bug or several. Allergies can weaken your immune system so you are prone to other things. My farm dog, Abby looked a lot like Jesse although she was golden retriever and something else but not husky. She was such a 'bird' dog she would bark at planes! LOL! She was the best farm dog I ever had....I still miss her.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, I am trying to be diligent in drinking my herbal teas, because I am seeing benefits again.

RB said...

We've had rain, and rain, and more rain - about 5" in 36 hours or so, although some parts of NC got 7-9. There's flooding in some places, but we live on high ground and are fine. Thank God.
The other day on The Chew, Michael Symon said he took the woody part of asparagus stems, saved them in the freezer until he had enough, then tossed them frozen into a food processor and chopped them up fine, added them to chicken broth and made asparagus soup. It looked good. He said the freezing makes it easier for the food processor to chop them real fine, and the fine chopping takes away the "woodiness" (sp?)
Anyway, just something to think about.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I have frozen them, ha ha - the woody asparagus ends. I wish I had more time to watch the Chew. I love that show. I think your rain is heading our way. They said we'd have rain all weekend.