Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Bird watching and other fasicnating fun. . .



My to-do list was so long on Monday (washed rugs, rags, bed quilt, bathrobe etc.), I woke late on Tuesday.  Literally.  I overslept by an hour the next morning.  Sigh.  I knew I was pushing too hard.  I took the day off on Tuesday, as it rained anyway, so I couldn't work outdoors. Or so I thought.



I thought I saw this guy a few weeks back, but couldn't get a photo.  It's living in our black walnut tree.  A red-bellied male woodpecker.



More of the barn roof fell down for us.  I had to put up another sign....sigh.   I am still getting trespassers pulling in to the drive and even taking photos of the big barn (without asking).  You'd think the sign at the entrance would deter trespassing.  Grrr.

Hoorah!  The master bathroom is finished.  I tried talking myself into doing the last corner in two days, into one day.  Didn't happen. I just dove in, and finished the dang thing.  I love to scrub tile floor.....said no one ever.  The floor trim, and floor tile is beautified.  It's done.  Phew!  

Now...onto the next room.  
 
We have eaten every last one of the stuffed peppers we froze last summer.  I will be looking forward to freezing more this year.  It really helped me out on not just busy days, but days I didn't feel up to much, and days I wanted to tackle a big project.

It's week 3 of using my hair tonic.  I'm actually using a spray bottle now, and combing it into my hair (after towel drying).  I'm also pulling it up with a large hair clip, and allowing it to dry on it's own (when I can).  I cut the very tips of my hair to encourage growth.  The toxins have been flushed out I believe.  My fingernails are growing again.  What an ordeal.  Now, if my hair situation would completely resolve I would be a happy gal.

Speaking of teas and herbs, The Old Farmer's Almanac just emailed me a good article on Natural Remedies for Anxiety and Stress.  It has other good bits of info too. 

The vegetable garden is a total mess.  So is the animal barn.  Oh my gosh, what a mess they both are. If it's dry enough, I will be outside most of today.



Snacks this week are energy bites and granola bars.  Both are packed with oats, walnuts and goodness.
 

4 comments:

Rain said...

Hi Kristina :) The photos of the woodpecker are great! They're so handsome. We have some here and they get very big with a huge mohawk of red feathers! The females usually hide out, I rarely see them. May I ask, WHY do people take photos of the barn? What is their problem, you're not a public show house...gosh that would peeve me off. Alex would be putting up a tall fence and possibly a croc-filled moat if that happened here! I appreciate that you put a link to the Old Farmer's Almanac article. I'm going there now. :)

Mama Pea said...

Oh, I'd love to have that old hay I see in your barn for mulch in the garden! (Can you tell I'm getting into gardening mode?) The straw we got last year for mulch was oat straw, if I remember correctly, and it had so many seeds in it. This was great for bedding for the poultry as they snarfed up every seed they could find. BUT I just know I'm going to be tearing my hair and cursing a blue streak when I pull it off my strawberry bed this spring and the seeds start to grow! You may hear me grousing all the way to your house. :o(

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, it's either people who have fancy cameras (I'm guessing photographers or college kids in a photography class), or people wanting to get a part of that barn. We had another guy stop and ask for the roofing. Urgh. So tired of it. I am hoping this year is the year to start using that barn to build a new coop, but we'll see.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, we plan on putting a ton of straw or hay on the fruit bushes. I'm already out weeding the flower beds, and they are a total mess.