Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Organic Miso ~ Chickpea Burgers

Miso is a new food to try this year.  I just happened to be watching the "Chew" one day (I think I was feeling poorly that day otherwise the TV would never be on).  Anyway, they had a guest on making chickpea burgers that used a miso in the sauce.  I was intrigued.

I set out to find miso in our stores.  With no luck, sent an email to my sister-in-law and brother.  I got some tips, and placed my order. 


It arrived, and I
made the burgers using the sweet white miso.  Hubby and I have already tasted the dandelion/leek in a soothing cup of boiling water.  I honestly feel it is helping us both get over colds too. The Sweet White Miso is basically organic brown rice, fermented organic soybeans and other good ingredients.

...back to the burgers...


The recipe is available online via "The Chew" and called the Chickpea Burgers.  

However, the recipe states to use a potato masher to mash them. Ha.  Didn't happen.  Canned are too dry.  I had to crush them up in my blender (I'm still waiting on my new blade from the Cuisinart blade recall so my food processor is in kahoots).  

I also used my home canned dill pickles.

When I added the miso mixture into the veggies it made a nice thick mixture to make patties with.  

We followed the recipe suggestions, and used red onion, pickles and tahini.  We however, lacked the the lettuce and tomato (car shuffle prevented me to get to the store).  They were very good despite.  I will definitely be making these again.  

I used my home grown green onions in this recipe.  It feels wonderful to see something growing in my herb garden already.
 
 



I borrowed recipes books from the library as well.   Just to take a "look-see."  In this process of finding this burger recipe, I now realize how healthy (full of good probiotics) miso is.  One more new food tried this year, and more I've learned something about.

11 comments:

Rain said...

Hi Kristina :) That's a food I've seen all over the place, but never tried myself. I think I should give it a go, I'd have to find a recipe that would suit us since we're not big fans of chickpeas in burgers or falafel, we do love hummus though. I continue to be envious of your library!

Sam I Am...... said...

I used Miso years ago when I had access to a health food coop but down here I have not had that luxury at all! LOL! I will be ordering some miso also and making those chick pea burgers! Thanks for the link and the post!

Mama Pea said...

Thanks for the reminder and push to use more miso. It is chock full of good stuff for us and I should use more of it in my cooking. Burgers look good!

Katmom said...

I love "The Chew"... and I really love simple Miso soup with tofu ... kind of a yummy warm me up when I don't feel good broth...
>^..^<

Katmom said...

Kristina,, oops! sorry,,, I called you S.I.A.,, by mistake,,, I have been reading to many Blogs today!!! lol!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Miso can be used in different ways. Even just in a cup of boiling water. We love hummus too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, the burgers were very good, and even my picky vegetarian loved them. They were delicious reheated the next day too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, it's the first time trying it for us. I loved the burgers.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Katmom, I love The Chew. They are always so funny too.

RB said...

I watch The Chew nearly every day. It's full of good ideas and recipes. I remember this one. Except for the Miso, it sounded a lot like falafel which I LOVE. I LOVE Tahini too, so it sounds like it would be good for me to try one day.
Thanks for sharing your experience with this.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

You are welcome RB, the tahini tastes wonderful on these burgers. And the pickles too.