Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Day Off

I have a no-picture post today.  Oddly.  All the photos are on my phone right now.  

Hubby announced on Thursday, he was taking Friday off work and whisking me off for a night to celebrate our anniversary (which was in December).

I was totally shocked, happy, and surprised.  The kids are taking a day off too.  As soon as we arrived home yesterday, the girls all took off to spend the night up with their Army sister (Girls Night Out).

We had Date Night Out.
Two hours into our drive, I looked up and laughed.  Snow.  There was snow.  We haven't seen snow for so long, it was sort of funny.  And it was much colder.

We were so spontaneous this trip to Amish Country.  We don't eat the Amish food, unless it's broasted chicken.  I honestly don't like the mashed potatoes they serve either - very watered down. Oh, and I learned of another bread you can make with another grain (I have to research it now).

We found nook and cranny places, such as bistros.  We found one that served local meat, and freshly made burgers and hand cut sweet potato fries etc.  And we saved money, as the food costs were lower too.

We stopped at one antique mall, browsed, and found a flea market and browsed some more. I found one little ditty to put in my study, and I hope to have photos to share of it soon. 

I restocked some health items, and picked (always trying to think ahead of gardening season) up a gallon of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar.  We can't buy it by the gallon in our parts, and I use it for canning and other recipes. It's much cheaper than buying it by the quart bottle here.


We came home tired (yet rested), but tended the animals, stoked the fire, and hit the hay.  Today, Hubby is making my breakfast.  No kids in the house until later today (aside from the pups).  We are enjoying it, and resting up for Monday, taking today off from work too.

6 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Sounds like you had a nice, low-key day off with your favorite guy. Been a long time since that's happened here. Maybe things will slow down this summer. HAHAHAHEEHOHOHO! (Yes, I'm a bit hysterical.) :o/

Sam I Am...... said...

What fun and I can't think of 2 more deserving people! Happy Belated Anniversary!

Rain said...

Happy belated anniversary! :) I'm so glad you two got some time alone and you sound like you had a nice trip. It's good to take some time off, I'm sure you feel recharged! Enjoy your Sunday!! :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Oh Mama Pea, I sure hope you two can escape for even a day. You deserve it. Both of you do.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Sam I Am.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, Hubby is back to working over time today (of all days), and I'm in the kitchen after re-watering the animals - dealing with frozen buckets of water today.