Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Shopping Day ~ Black Bean and Corn Salsa

Saturday was a big shopping day.  We hit four stores to restock dog food, salt for the softener tank, organic meats, and so forth.  We had to make one stop for a new printer too.  We had the trunk filled, our stomachs were empty and screaming for dinner.


Thankfully, before we left, I filled the crock pot.  It's my healthier version of Pasta e Fagoli.  I make this with whatever I have, and it always tastes good.  Some years I use tomato sauce and paste, with extra broth, but this time I used some tomato basil soup and paste.  The combination was delicious.  I just had to boil the penne noodles and add them when I got home.
 

While we were shopping we ran into family on Hubby's side.  Hubby forgot about a birthday party that night, so while the noodles boiled for the dinner, I whipped up a black bean and corn salsa to take to the party.

It was missing a splash of lime juice, but tasted pretty good.  I had to use our frozen "of the cob" corn, so it tasted a tad sweet and lacked the heat.  I added some frozen chopped jalapenos and a bit of our "fire powder" to spice it up.  For the "salsa" for this I used my home canned green tomato salsa.  I just love how the colors make this salsa look festive.

The salsa came in handy at the party.  They grilled flank steak for burritos, and the salsa make a perfect topping for it.  Not bad for a last minute "take along."

Hubby and I were losing our "steam" by 7:30pm, and decided we'd better head home and get some rest.  

6 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Whew! I know a day of shopping and then out for a birthday party would take away all my "steam", too! Your salsa looks (and I'm sure tasted) so good!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, the salsa turned out very good. It would be great for a quick burrito of any sort I think too. We enjoyed it on non-gmo tortilla chips.

Rain said...

The salsa looks delicious! My boyfriend and I get heartburn from anything spicy and we both miss that fiery sensation...our salsas are beyond mild these days. I've started to add some black beans and corn into mine as well and you're right they look really nice. I think that the enjoyment of eating isn't just the taste, but the smell and the visual as well. Isn't the crockpot a lifesaver on shopping day??? I've adopted a once a month shopping day and it's a long day but saves me time, gas money and social anxiety going out more often. In fact, we're on 6 weeks now from the last shopping day. I'd love to be able to just go out a few times all winter to stock up. I have to plan a crockpot meal for my next big shopping day too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, I love the crock pot meals. It really saves me time.

Sam I Am...... said...

Sounds like a long but lovely day and your salsa looks so yummy! I'm like Rain, I can't handle spicy anymore.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sam I Am.