Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Random Tidbits

It was time to send this book back to the library.   I flipped through it and scanned one recipe.  It gives you a twist on some foods.  For example, there is a recipe where you shave the broccoli stalks to make a salad.  There are even a few recipes for using apple peelings and cores - apple wine jelly was one.



I tried another saved recipe, from the recipe "Try-It" binder.   I must have saved this recipe for over 10 years.  I was sort of stumped, so I had to taste it first.  It was a "bread" recipe, but said to bake it in a 9 x 13 inch cake pan.    It used crushed pineapple and shredded zucchini.  I cut the sugar down, and substituted applesauce for half the oil, and it tasted like a very soft cake.  I didn't copy down the recipe (to post here), because there are many versions of this and ways to bake it online.

Or I just wanted to save you all from wanting to save another recipe to try, ha ha!
 

Considering this tasted like cake and not bread, I decided to whip up some frosting using frozen strawberries.  Mmmm!  You can't even tell I sampled it from this angle, ha ha!  Sorta proper for a Valentine's Day treat for the family too.

I just read that mullein, a common weed that grows wild (and I use it year round for health and illnesses), is also called "cowboy toilet paper."  Ha!  So if you are out camping this summer, and run out of toilet paper, viola!  If you haven't seen mullein growing, it has very soft fuzzy leaves.

 

4 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Just be sure what all you "cowboys" use is really mullein . . . and not something like poison ivy, poison oak or some such! (Hee-hee.)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, that would be a bad situation if someone grabbed the wrong leaves, ha ha!

Sam I Am...... said...

Remember that big one I had growing in my yard....it's back! LOL! If you need any let me know...it's out there right now. Winter here kills nothing! LOL!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I am now using my comfrey salve I made a while back. It has so many benefits.