One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, February 17, 2017

Popcorn Test #2

I checked the popcorn for the second time.  I took 6 kernels and used coconut oil.

The results?


 All six kernels of our Dakota Black popcorn popped.  Yum!

I had to make us our first bowl to snack on.

I used the method of rubbing two ears together to remove the kernels.  I works pretty good with a deep bowl.  I did much better at it this time than our first (2 years ago).  I didn't lose too many kernels to the floor.



The cobs are being saved for campfire starters (again).  


It was a perfect day to start removing the popcorn too.  I just took it outside in a fine strainer and the wind winnowed out the fine hair and other particles.  

4 comments:

RB said...

Very interesting!!! Did you notice a different taste using coconut oil instead of another type?
I have very dry skin and use Palmer's Cocoa Butter Bath Wash, and every time I shower, it smells like cookies. LOL
Hope everyone has a great weekend, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Kristina said...

RB, I like the popcorn with coconut oil. Every kernel pops with it, and it tastes great. It does have a different taste, but it's good.

Sam I Am...... said...

Very interesting...I used to have some of that popcorn that a friend grew and gave me.....great flavor in the homegrown varieties. I'll have to try the coconut oil.

Kristina said...

Sam I am, it's about the only thing I use coconut oil for. Aside from frying potatoes. We love it for potato frying (a typical side for a pancake breakfast).