Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Homemade Condensed Tomato Soup ~ From Pile to File Recipe

I noticed that a few of my recipes I collected to try, contained quick-to-buy processed foods.  One of those "food" ingredients happened to be condensed tomato soup.

I have, in the past, been consistent in making homemade condensed chicken, celery, mushroom, and even cheddar cheese soups.  So making this was super easy.  Last year's tomato harvest gave us a good supply of canned tomato sauce.

I decided to not whip up a recipe, but freeze one to see how well it freezes too.

Make this when you have opened tomato sauce and have extra that needs used up.   I may even try this by adding water to make "tomato soup" and compare the taste to my lemony-basil tomato soup I canned last fall.



Homemade Condensed Tomato Soup
1 cup home canned tomato sauce
1 Tbsp. organic/non-gmo corn starch or arrowroot powder
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)

Mix ingredients in a bowl, and substitute this for store brand  condensed tomato soup.


Note:  I have very little sugar in my home canned tomato sauce, and very little salt.  I do not add salt to mine, because other ingredients in most of my casseroles will add salt and other flavors.  It's really up to your taste. Also, arrowroot powder tends to work better for a sauce with vinegar or lemon, and all of my home canned tomato items have a bit of lemon.

(using all organic/non-gmo ingredients)

Pizza Casserole
2 cups homemade noodles (or egg noodles)
2 tsp. canola oil
1 pound ground beef
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. oregano, dried
1/2 tsp. salt
1 "can" homemade condensed tomato soup
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup organic mozzarella cheese, shredded 
*more cheese for topping

Heat oven to 350°F.  Cook noodles, drain and let sit.  Heat oil in a non-stick skillet.  Add ground beef, onion and garlic.  Cook until meat is no longer pink, and drain off fat.  Stir in oregano, salt, water, 1/2 cup cheese, "soup"  and noodles.

Remove from heat and add half the cheese.  Spoon into a 9 x 9 inch or an 11 x 7 baking dish.  Sprinkle a bit of cheese over the top.  Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes until bubbly.


Cool 5 minutes before serving.


I used my homemade fettuccine cut noodles. My pasta machine makes either fettuccine or spaghetti cut noodles.  Or you could hand cut them too.



7 comments:

Susan said...

Thank you for those recipes! I do not used condensed soup for anything nowadays, both because of my gluten intolerance and because I do not eat processed food. However, it is nice to have a bowl of cream of tomato soup every now and again. And that casserole! Yum!

Susan said...

P.S. I now find myself in the grocery store thinking, "What would Kristi buy...?" LOL!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, it tasted so good using our home canned tomato sauce. Ha! The grocery store comment cracked me up.

Rain said...

That looks SO delicious!! I'm trying to make more "freezer meals" and that looks like a good candidate! We love anything cheesy...yum. I have a pasta maker too. I've used it to flatten out the dough to make ravioli. You got me thinking about making pasta for the freezer now!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, I think the next time I made this, I'll make two 9 x 9 pans, and freeze one.

Sam I Am...... said...

That pizza casserole looks amazingly yummy! I may swap that out for Friday night pizza and the homemade condensed tomato soup too. I also want to try making homemade noodles some day but not today! LOL!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, egg noodles would work perfect too. It really was good.