Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Got Wine Corks?



My name is....and I am a wine cork hoarder.


It's true.  I have had this tote of corks in my crafting supplies for years.  Many years.  Since before we moved here.

I have made many Christmas tree ornaments over the years, gifted many, and maybe even sold some.  I can't remember.

..... so I'm him-hawing at letting go of these corks.  Or keeping a handful.  Or not.  

Today, I decided to take you down "wine cork memory lane" (and myself) to decide if I shall pass these corks on.  They were not saved for storage over the years.   I have been a bit creative.



I made several of these, which were gifted to family one Christmas. 


(only one of these were ever made, and it never made it {yet} to my S.C.R.A.P. Blogspot)



 (two ornaments to the lower left, one a mushroom, using a bottle cap for the top, and the other underneath it with a simple tassel, which will be posted onto my DIY, S.C.R.A.P. blogspot in the near future).


You can see how to make the wine cork mushrooms at my S.C.R.A.P. Blogspot.

This ornament is also posted on my DIY recycling/crafting blogspot (S.C.R.A.P. Blogspot). 



I made wine cork necklaces that you can see how to make on my S.C.R.A.P. Blogspot as well.


 I made wine cork necklaces that were sold at the Farmer's Market and also gifted.  I added small charms to them.



Here is the wine cork garland I made years ago.  You can also see how to make one of your own at my S.C.R.A.P. Blogspot.




I made wine cork magnets.  And gift some.




I made a wine cork trivet.




I made a wine cork tray.  You can see how I made this over at my S.C.R.A.P. blogspot as well.  I made this for a daughter, who used it to store her bottles of nail polish, and other makeup on.



I made garden markers using wine corks.  You can see how to easily make these at my S.C.R.A.P. Blogspot.


Oh, and if you are wondering, I did not drink all of those bottles of wine.  We once lived in a community, where a very nice restaurant served lots and lots of wine.  They kindly saved me some corks.   

Now.  

To keep or not to keep.  That is the question.

This morning I woke up to a thunderstorm.  I kid you not.  In February.  A full blown downpour, rainstorm, thunderstorm.  In the month we typically get the most snow. It's 48°F and they are saying we'll have a high of 60°F?  What the heck is happening?

4 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Who knew you could do so many things with wine corks?? Some cute things there. Maybe you should make a bunch (yeah, in your spare time) and see how they sell at Farmer's Market this summer? I think you have enough corks to work with. ;o)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, you crack me up. Yep. I have enough of them, ha ha! I think we took the mushroom ornaments to the market one year. Many times, people will take a photo and go home and make them instead (sadly). I may have to make a new ornament to send the rest of the corks to other homes, ha ha! Hubby just wants me to get rid of them.

Sam I Am...... said...

Actually, you should save them as they don't use cork anymore....now they're rubber or something like rubber. I made the plant markers for gifts but I need to ask them how they held up. Did you use them? I woud make more if they hold up. Your ornaments are darling and I know a use for a lot of them is making a shoe/boot mat as the corks are absorbent and you can put your wet shoes/boots on them. I saw it somewhere....probably Pinterest but I don't have that many cork corks....mine are mostly the rubber ones. You go girl! Very good ideas! I was thinking of carving stamps for some of mine but that sounds like a lot of work....we'll see.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, you are right about the real corks. The only thing about the garden markers, is that I have to continue to re-write the plant on it. Even spraying them with a clear coat, the weather still wears the marker off.