Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Bad Weather ~ Baking with Booze

Weather was nasty. School was canceled.  It's was a perfect excuse to bake a cake for dinner.  We woke up to ice, sleet, slush, then pouring down rain on a layer of half melted ice....then in the evening 55 mph winds.  We may have lost a pillow to the back porch swing (should have run out and collected them, but forgot about them).  It's too dark and early to tell.  When the sun is up, I'll go take a looksee.
 

I dug out my old, hand-me-down cake pan, and baked a maple-rum pound cake with maple-rum glaze.  It was a new recipe that had been floating around the kitchen.  I believe I tore it out of a King Flour magazine.

The results?

Everyone liked it, but I thought it was a bit dry.  Hubby loved it.  Of course he would.  It was the first cake to bake for a few months, ha ha!
 

Dinner prep was easy, as the day was filled with laundry load after laundry load.  I pulled some delicious stuffed green peppers, some corn frozen off the cob, and some sweet potatoes. 

Tip:  When I cook this corn (the only kind I like, ha ha!) I never add water.  It makes it's own water, and I just add salt.  When I freeze food, I leave salt out, because I always salt/pepper when I cook.


Random moment;  email is becoming a thing of the past for my nearby friends.  I don't get emails back anymore.  I'm guessing other social media has taken over their lives.   And in other instances email wins over a phone call.  

The weather is warming up today - up to the 50's by evening.  No need to fire up the wood stove today.  Sort of nice for once, but it is very wet, muddy and messy out there.  I guess that's better than a sheet of ice. 

8 comments:

hoosier girl said...

I'm guilty of the email thing. I read them and then get distracted. It seems they require a more thought out reply than a quick text or instant message. Maybe that's just me.

Kim said...

And as an added bonus, I bet your house smelled divine.

Susan said...

We've had the same weather - the winds really did some damage last night and into this morning. Oh, that cake looks good! I have a recipe for egg nog spiked with spiced rum that I have yet to make. I think that February is the best month for it - it seems endless and dark...

Sam I Am...... said...

If it's dry you could add some applesauce but the recipe does sound delicious! The organic canned corn I had last night was really good for canned. IT tasted fresh and it had that crispness that you get with fresh corn. I was pleasantly surprised. It was 70 here today but wet and damp and very windy! I hope you found your cushions.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

hoosier girl, I think for some of my local friends, they tend to use facebook and messenger instead.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, one of these days I'll be back to baking bread again. I love that smell in the house too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, we should make February our "Bake with Booze" official month, ha ha! It's also the month our state gets the most snowfall.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, I was thinking of adding some applesauce the next time too. I did find the cushions. They were way out by the road, but thankfully, not across the road. Lesson learned - get the furniture covered for winter (we kind of lost sight of that job when I got sick and winter arrived so quickly).