Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Dallas ~ The Cantankerous Jumping Goat

Way back in the summer, we ran out of hay.  Dallas got mad.  He soon learned to jump out of his stall and eat up the tidbits where we store the hay.  

I could write a book about this goat.  He became more of the goat from h-e-double hockey sticks.  He jumped out so many times, I got tired of putting him back in.

We built up the sides of the stall, north and south (the west wall is the barn wall where we have slide gate for them to exit and go into the fenced area).


Low and behold, he still got out.  Daughter added a few more rows of barn wood, but not the gate.  

Low and behold, again.  He jumped out.

And he taught Jackson how to jump the stall, so I was chasing two goats most days.  Other days I'd find him at the side door, screaming to get in.

He became so annoying.  He would chase after my chickens, making it so difficult to get them in and out of the coop to free range.

Anyway, I figured out how he was getting out.  I told Daughter the castle wasn't high enough.  That little stinker was jumping off the barn wall, bouncing right over the stall into the second stall we used for birthing, and he'd walk right out (gate was left open on second stall).  

Daughter was laughing as she pulled in from work, and saw Dallas following me and my hens.  I wasn't laughing.  I was getting way too much exercise chasing him.  He thought I was playing, so I just ignored him, until he followed me into the barn.

Daughter went out again, and added another board to the north side of the stall.  

He jumped right over this gate, which already had another board added.  Right in front of me. Daughter said she'd add a second board above the gate, which is about as tall as me already.  I told her his "castle" wasn't tall enough.

Guess where I found Dallas yesterday?  Oye.  I'm afraid we'll have to wrap the top of the stall with chicken wire or something.  He has separation anxiety.  Once he sees me, he has to be near my side.  So, so, annoying.  

4 comments:

Kim said...

But Kristina, it is nice to know you are loved!

RB said...

Awww, the the he goat loves his mommy. LOL
But yeah, goats are little Houdinis. Never met one that couldn't figure out how to get wherever they wanted to be regardless the boundaries put in front of them. LOL
Prayers everyone's having a great week, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, he jumped the stall and followed daughter inside the house,and came inside the house with the dogs once, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, there are days I just shake my head and let him roam for a while. While I'm out there anyway, ha ha!