One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Crushed Tomatoes ~ Goodbye Tomato Plants

Saturday was pretty productive.  I boiled and ice bathed the last 11# of tomatoes I picked on Friday.  Yes, there were more, even after I let the hens at 'em.  Grand total of tomatoes has moved up to 511#!


I got 8 1/2 pints of crushed tomatoes canned.  Not bad for the last bit of tomatoes.  Ripe ones anyway. 

While the canner boiled, I started washing down the kitchen cupboards.  The fall cleaning has started.



And here's the proof I've been ripping those plants out. I got about 40 pulled before coming in to roast a few pumpkins before dinner.   I also brought in a basket full of green tomatoes.

Even though it was briskly cool out, we took a short break, bundled up like tough bikers do, and went on a short ride.

 
 

7 comments:

Lady Jane said...

Yum!!! Send me a jar will ya? LOL>>> LJ

Little Homestead In Boise said...

We ripped ours out today too, chickens loving digging thru the soil :)

Kristina said...

Lady Jane, it's our first crushed tomatoes with our huge tomato season too. I spent most of the season making sauces.

Kristina said...

Little Homestead, the chickens love to dig in that and clean it up for me. Makes my job a bit easier, and bug free.

RB said...

You have been industrious. I got a few things done today too, enough to make a small notch in the list anyway.
Hope everyone's having a great week, and a safe one too.
Remember to stop once in a while to smell the posies. It brings a bit of rest to the heart.
God bless.
RB
<><

Kristina said...

Thank you RB. Hubby and I took Sunday off. If felt great too.

Sam I Am...... said...

Hard work and you should be very proud of yourself. Amazing 511 lbs! Congrats!