I made one last visit to the tomatoes. I promised myself to not even think about getting more harvested, and just pull the darn plants. I put the last of the grape tomatoes into the dehydrator, and pulled some green tomatoes. Even the green tomatoes are starting to look bad, so I'm ready to get them pulled. I pulled one plant and stake today. It's a measly start on 100-some plants, ha ha! The grand total of our tomato harvest, as of yesterday, was 500.8#!
I told the kids I'll not do that again. They all laughed at me.
I dug the very last of the sweet potatoes and red potatoes. I was surprised at how well the sweet potatoes did, considering I didn't plant very many.
Not everything grew well this year. The fingerling potatoes we planted very, very late produced a scant amount (first time growing them for us). The spaghetti squash gave me about 4 more, and the mini-butternut only gave me about 4 mini's. I think I like the larger butternut anyway for now.
The bug population has soared. Yesterday, after I did all my garden work to prepare, I let Sparta and the ladies out. Of course they haven't discovered the tomato patch yet (darn). I'll have to call them over to it with my "treat" call and see if they go bananas on the plants and rid the garden of the bugs.
Oh, there is more to pull from the garden yet, but it's somewhat in the safe-zone from the chickens.