Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Another Drought

Despite the heat returning, the canning continues.  The tomato plants are loaded with green tomatoes and we accidentally knocked a few off.  


Yesterday, I baked a green tomato cake while the pizza sauce reduced.  I am so far behind on blanching greens, I feel like the day passes so quickly now.



I don't know how I pulled it off, but before I canned the sauce, I sliced up some home grown potatoes, onions, and tossed in some green beans into foil packets.  With canning season taking up the stove top, I took advantage of the grill.  We pulled the last of the steaks from the freezer, marinated them and grilled them. 


I pulled a stick of butter from the fridge and mixed up some garlic/whiskey butter with fresh herbs to top the steaks with .  I was missing the blue cheese, but it worked.  Sort of.  I did miss the cheese in it.  

School is really causing my schedule to spin out of control.  Last night one had youth group, and one had a 4 hour driver's education class - both going in two directions, and another at work.   Somehow they all got to their destinations, and back home, and I have no idea how we pulled it off.

(Jackson looking all handsome)

Today, I have to can again.  It will feel like 100°F by 3pm, and we've not seen rain lately.  I've put water bottles in the freezer for the goat's water today.  I'll be digging out the ice chipper for the hens and Sparta.

The garden, all but the tomatoes, were watered good yesterday so today I have to water the tomatoes.  The flower bed looks awful, but I'd rather lose the flowers than the food we need, so it gets watered when time allows.  The herb garden looks bad too.  I did not get enough parsley to even dry any this season (sad face).  Nor basil.  The thyme recovered for a short time, but looks terrible again.  The swiss chard is doing great, but I am lacking time to get it in the freezer.  

I already start the day at o'5:30am, and now a kiddo tells me she has to dropped off at school before the bus even arrives here (meeting for National Honor Society members).  Oye.  I'll be dropping her off in my pajamas if I have too I guess.  The tomatoes won't last and have to be chopped and on the stove at o'3:30am tomorrow.

 

6 comments:

Kim said...

Yikes! 3am? That is crazy. What time are they expecting her at school?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Ha ha, Kim I was joking. I don't get up that early, but she has to be there by 7:15am. I have 20 pounds of tomatoes to cut up and get started very early. I promised Hubby a meatloaf dinner tomorrow.

Mama Pea said...

You're working way too hard! But I know how hard it is to take it easy (ha!) when it's harvest time. All I got done in that effort today was eight trays of mint in the dehydrator. Did broccoli yesterday. I'm starting to pull up some stuff in the garden. I'm always amazed at how much time that takes!

I wish I could send you some of my beautiful parsley. It did great this year and I probably dehydrated a couple of year's supply. The plants could be cut again now.

Working hard is okay but just be sure you somehow manage to get enough rest at night. Otherwise, your physical body will rebel! (How do I know? Just getting over a bad cold. Ugh.)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I finally got one basket full of swiss chard in the freezer yesterday. Whew! Today it's back to tomatoes.

Sam I Am...... said...

You're making me tired just hearing about it all but I would rather get up and do it when it's cooler for sure!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, the garden is in charge this year, ha ha!