Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, August 8, 2016

Wild Weeds

Due to unfortunate events, our mower has not been mowing.  It was fixed Sunday with new parts, but before that, the chicory was growing everywhere, despite lack of rain.

The color on these photos is very bright due to our sunny days and higher heat.  You can see the grass is brown, yet the chicory is growing vibrantly.  It's growing like crazy along roadsides as well (but you don't that those plants).

I decided to take advantage of this and dig some up.  Chicory root can be dried and made into a "coffee."  It has wonderful health benefits.  We do not use any chemicals, so it's a win-win situation, but the roots are like cement.  

I also see we have a ton of burdock out there, but not sure if I want to add more work to my day yet.
 

Hubby and I took most, but not all of, Saturday off.  He surprised me by taking us on a motorcycle ride to the small town we married in - on a tiny island off of a local river.  The island is not filled in and connected to land and re-named a park, but we still visited and even ran into someone we both used to work with prior to marrying (who bet his co-workers we'd never stay together).  

Sunday, we got garden work done, mower back in action, and again took the afternoon off.  One daughter helped me chop up all the vegetables for our 4th batch of zucchini salsa.  That sits overnight, so today I can it.  I am concerned this may be the last of the zucchini, as the plants are yellowing already due to the heat and drought.  I am still watering the fall planted seeds with rain barrel water, but rain is needed badly.

When I say we took the afternoon off, I really mean we took the Harley to another town to pick up some needed supplies that would fit in the saddlebags.  While we were there, Hubby said "let's go to the movies."  Ha!  I haven't been in a movie theater in years.  I tried to talk him out of it, but we went, and quite honestly, I think he was procrastinating the end of the bike ride (ha ha!).   I'm glad we took the motorcycle.  We both needed a relaxing afternoon.  

Here we are, recharged for Monday.  Ready to tackle that garden, and whatever is ready to harvest.  I'm quite concerned the cauliflower is not doing well.  We literally watered the heck out of it the other day, and it doesn't seem to want to grow.  

We've had a plethora of horse flies this year.  I think I have killed about 30 on the front porch now.  I searched the internet and found a spray recipe to squirt at them, that is said to kill them instantly.  I'm giving it a try, but once I swat one, and know it's dead, another one shows up.    The carpenter bee traps we installed in the barn are working.  The traps have to be set so that they do not sway in the wind, but I see bees in the removable container.

6 comments:

Susan said...

It's feast or famine, isn't it? Last year you had too much rain! I have taken to only watering the tomatoes, peppers and cukes, but everything is progressing so slowly, I may not have a ripe tomato until September. Sounds like the motorcycle was a wise investment - it's the only way you, two, get off the farm! What movie did you see?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, you are right about the motorcycle. Happy endorphins are the best. Even Hubby mentioned that last night. We went to see Bad Moms, and it was the most hilarious movie ever. I laughed through almost the entire movie. We haven't been to the movies in 2 years. It has horrible language and vulgar, but there were so many parts I could relate to, like when the one Mom wished she was in the hospital, just so she could sleep, have food brought to her etc. Movies have changed so much in the way of foul language. Golly.

RB said...

I hate to say it, but we've had 3" of rain since Sunday morning, and I LOVE it, although there were several dangerous flash floods around Raleigh during rush hour that left people jumping out of and scampering from their cars and that's not good either. Before this rain, we'd gone more than a week with high heat and dryness, and I think it was flat wearing everything out from people to animals to plants.
We've got more rain coming tonight, and I suppose spits and spots of it throughout the rest of the week too.
Praying for everyone's safety and a great week ahead.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, we had a very good weekend. Thank you! No rain here even as I type this. Just hot and humid. The humidity has helped my green beans sprout.

Sam I Am...... said...

Glad you got out and about for a bit. There's a reason Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest....literally!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sam I Am.