Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Well.....




Here is what I've been doing.



 Freezing corn. 
Click here to go to my blogpost with the recipe for:  

I have put up 100 cups so far, and will need to put up more.  I work in batches of 20 cups per pot, due to the amount of pans I need to cool it all in.  I can do about 40 cups a day, and then I run out of pans.  Of course I treat the hens to some cobs, and my new "blondies" ran from them, ha ha!  They have, however, learned that Sparta is in charge and when he makes his call to tell them there is a treat, they come running out of the roost. They eventually figured out that the cobs had some goodies on them.

I'll have to check my corn relish supply and see if I need to restock that now too.  I love to mix some with a bowl of boiled green beans.  It kind of kicks it up a notch in taste, and something different.

I'm also "fall" planting a few things.  I totally forgot to fall plant the beets, so that's next.  Oye.  Where did summer go?  The tree leaves are already turning.  So sad to see summer go so fast. 

Also, yesterday, after watering everything (again) for two hours, I came in to find a message on my phone.  It was Hubby saying he was taking the afternoon off, and to be ready to take an hour motorcycle ride.  I could not say no to playing hookie for a half-day, so we went.  We rode over to where my grandparents used to live (on my Mother's side), drove through town, and ate at local restaurant.  

We also visited a Harley store, which I later found out my Grandpa used to work for (way back in the day).  There is another local eatery that we plan to go back and try as well.  It's the longest motorcycle ride we've taken, and we very much enjoyed it.  I have to say it was fun to disconnect from the world and take a break.  It stirred up lots of memories of Grandma and Grandpa too.  I plan to take my camera next trip and take photos of where their house used to be and what's there now

Today, it's back to the grind.    

At night, when I just wanting to go to sleep, I work a few rows on the baby blanket.  Crossing my fingers to get it done, and the energy to do so.



4 comments:

Susan said...

Thank you for the link to your frozen corn recipe! I am hoping to get a bag of corn this weekend and freeze most of it (will make corn relish, too!) I was also glad to hear you got to get away for a bit of fun!

Kim said...

That corn looks yummy! I will begin planting fall greens, carrots, beet and I may get one more round of cucumbers in.

It is fun to get away from the day to day, but seems if I am gone for an hour, I get 3 hours behind!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I got 110 cups of corn in the freezer, and I'm considering getting more, so I don't have to do it next season. However, my family can empty the freezer as fast as I fill it up, ha ha! It was fun to take the afternoon off, and I worked like horse the next day.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, I may have to buy garlic and beets if I don't get the fall planting done. My garlic didn't do so well. I got bulbs but not very big this season, and we have not had rain.