Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Ketchup, Pizza Sauce ~ Tomato Explosion

Every day the tomatoes are being brought in now.  I am canning daily, and exhausted (but have zero problems with falling asleep).  The sauce maker is in full swing.


Ketchup takes 10 pounds of paste tomatoes.  One batch made so far.  Pizza sauce requires 25 pounds.  One batch made so far.  The table is covered with more tomatoes.  I am thrilled for such a good harvest, but my posts will be short this week, ha ha!  As of yesterday, we have brought in 120 pounds of tomatoes.  Some canned, some frozen, and some eaten.  There are more to can yet today, but dishes must be tackled first.  The "guts" from all the sauce making is being fed to my chickens.  The goats will eat a few bites, but they are still young.

4 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

You go girl! We understand! Awesome harvest! My few got worms...go figure.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, we get tomato worms every season. I pick them off and feed them to my chickens.

RB said...

Does sound tiring, but so rewarding, and I bet the aroma wafting through the house is wonderful.
So blessed your harvest is good this year. Have you thought about saving some of the seeds from the tomato "guts" to plant next year? I bet that would work.
Hope everyone's having a great week, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, yes, we are saving as many seeds as we can this season.