Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Blueberry Bourbon Barbecue Sauce

I've been cooking with booze (again).  This time it's with blueberries.  When Hubby whisked me off to Kentucky, we visited a restaurant that had the best steaks.  They also served salmon with blueberry bourbon barbecue sauce.  It was delicious.  

I had to try making it myself.  


I thought it would be best to measure all my ingredients prior to starting.  Jalapenos were from my garden, and boy are they hot this year.


First batch went right over some home raised chicken I roasted.  This would be wonderful on pork and fish too.

This recipe comes from Eating Well, but their site has way too many advertisements on it.  I found the same recipe on Food.com - Blueberry Bourbon Barbecue Sauce.  I followed the recipe exactly, but was worried my hot peppers would be to hot for this.

How was it? 


Good.  Not spectacular nor amazing, but just good.  The blueberries overpowered the heat, so there was no balance in sweet and heat.  I was surprised, considering how hot our jalapenos are this year.  I may make it one more time, adding more jalapenos.  Not sure.  I put a small amount in the freezer as well, to try over fish later.

It freezes for up to 3 months.  

Note:  That other dish is a spaghetti squash dish we make from allrecipes, using olives, tomatoes, garlic, onion, basil and feta cheese.  We enjoyed our first spaghetti squash this year.  I should have added some broccoli too.  We are getting a lot of it now.

6 comments:

Susan said...

It all sounds wonderful!

RB said...

Sounds like it would be good on pork - ribs, chops and such too.
I read somewhere that when it's particularly hot and dry, peppers would be hotter and tomatoes would taste more robust too, and that neither should be harvested within three days after a rain, but sometimes weather doesn't cooperate with harvesting days.
Been hot and dry here for several days. Expecting rain to start Thursday and go through the weekend. We'll see won't we.
Hope everyone's having a great week, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Mama Pea said...

Gotta admit I wouldn't have thought of putting blueberries, whiskey and jalapenos together for a sauce. But then, I'm just not as adventuresome a cook as you are! Your family definitely benefits from your good cooking, I've got to say that.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I put one container in the freezer to try on fish later. Yum.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, we have not had a break in the rain until today (Wed). It rained every day since it started raining here. I'm heading out to check the garden status today. The sauce would be excellent on pork.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I had rainy days here to give me time to try a few new recipes, ha ha! I should have been cleaning the bathroom, but tried some new recipes instead.