One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Alfredo Sauce the Healthy Way

I have been in my kitchen for 3-4 days straight now, and well, that's normal for this time of year.  Pretty much all summer and fall.

I had been baking one last zucchini/blueberry cake (hoping not to pack any pounds on), and decided I needed to try a new healthy dinner recipe.

I quickly took a photo before I finished my dinner.  I made an alfredo sauce using cannellini beans, garlic, lemon juice and vegetable broth.  The recipe comes from Clean Eating.  I used some Amish made noodles we were gifted last Christmas.  I really should be rotating out my homemade noodles.  I guess that will be my next project.


The alfredo was pretty good.  Light and very filling.  I added peas, but next time will add spinach too.  I made the entire pot vegetarian, took out some for them, then added some diced leftover chicken I roasted the day before.  Mmmmm!  A great way to use up our chicken.  I was so full, I could not even think if eating a piece of that lemon butter cream frosted cake I made.  However, everyone else in the house did.  

I added a slight amount of Parmesan cheese to the sauce as well.  I had to double it for us, and used 4 cloves of garlic.  I tasted it before I heated it, and it tasted just like hummus.  After heating it, I tasted it again, and it just needed something else.  I was waiting for Hubby to say, "it needs jalapenos" but he didn't.  He ate it all and said it was "very good."

The rain finally stopped. I guess that means I'm back outside again, and the humidity is terrible.  The sweat bees are miserably thick for some odd reason.  I can't remember a year here where I even saw more than a few.  They are everywhere.  Everything is soaked to the gills so I'm not even sure yet if I will succeed at weeding anything. 

The herb garden is bursting with weeds.  Not the good kind of weeds either.  I have a table full of oh so many tomatoes to freeze, and a few yellow squash to slice and freeze.  Maybe I can figure a way to utilize them in dinner tonight.  I was so tired and exhausted last night, I forgot to strain my tea infusion.  I am doing that as I post this, and hope it's not over the top strong. 

Since we are down to only a few meat eaters, we are able to stretch out a roasted chicken into three meals.  Tonight dinner is chicken burritos.  Chicken layered with black beans, and then zucchini salsa mixed with an avocado. 

Update on the rat situation.  I haven't seen it, but I have seen the droppings.  We set two traps in the loft in the goat/chicken barn.  I'll be checking them in a day or so.  We haven't had rats for about 4 years, so I hope it's just one and then we are done.

 

2 comments:

RB said...

The Alfredo sauce made with Canellini beans sounds good. I wonder if that "something missing" might've been cream which could be substituted with just a tiny bit of evaporated milk or coconut milk.
After 10 straight days of exceedingly hot and dry, we're expecting rain, blessed rain, for the next 3-4 days which we're welcoming with open arms. I pray there won't be anything dangerous though.
Prayers everyone has a great, and safe, weekend.
God bless.
RB
<><

Kristina said...

RB, evaporated milk sounds like it might be what it needed. Thanks.