Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Sweet Cherry Jam and the Strawberry Saga

First, I have to tell you about the strawberries.  We have one plant that survived last year's monsoon, so we have zero strawberries.  Some years it's just how it goes.  We planted everybearing, and we did not like them anyway (small harvest, small berries, and never enough to can jam).

There is a place about 25 minutes or so from our house which sells very good strawberries.  This place is known for their strawberries.  They are huge and tasty.

I called, and found out that they were selling for only for one more day, and were picking that morning, and were to start selling at 9am.


I skipped all morning work, and headed out there.  I got there at 8:55am.  The parking lot was packed, and there was a huge line, and people were leaving with loads of strawberries.  Hmpf.  Selling before 9am?

I get in line.  At 9:08am I was back in my car, heading home, with zero strawberries. They sold out before I got any.  There were about 12 people standing in front of me.  It was the last day they were selling strawberries.

I got in my car headed back to home, but kept going, and went to the grocery store.  There I picked up a few expensive containers of organic strawberries, and some organic sweet cherries (cherries are $5/lb, shhhh, don't tell Hubby).   I headed home frustrated, but at least I will have a few small batches of jam.


A new jam is made!  This year's newest, first tried jam is Sweet Cherry Jam (ball recipe).  Considering we planted a cherry tree this year, I thought it was fitting to make some jam and give it a try.  I made reduced sugar.

What's on my wish list now?  A cherry pitter.  We won't really need one for a few years (unless I buy cherries), but it will surely make my work easier.  And I won't have blue fingers and fingernails.

My pocket book may be lighter, but my pantry is filling up. 

A cherry pie sounds good too.  Cherry juice.  Gosh, I may need another tree. 

4 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

Cherries are my favorite...the pie cherries for jam, pies and anything else with sour cherries...LOVE! We had a cherry tree on the farm and I loved it. So sorry about your strawberry misadventure....it's like people showing up for a garage sale when it's 7:00 a.m. and it doesn't start until 8:00. Just remember...cheaters never prosper...in the end! LOL! Your jam looks beautiful!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sam I Am. I hope to find strawberries to get strawberry jam made soon too.

RB said...

Cherry and strawberry jam sounds wonderful. Cherry Pie was always my very favorite.
You know you can pit cherries without an actual cherry pitter. You can do it with a sturdy plastic drinking straw. They show how here...
http://bakingbites.com/2013/07/how-to-pit-cherries-without-a-cherry-pitter/
Prayers everyone has a safe holiday and a blessed week.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB thanks for that tip. I did not know.