Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Lemon Extract ~ Tinctures

I drained the last jar of lemon extract I had in the making.  this will last about a year or longer in our house.  It's not used as much as vanilla extract, which we go through a lot faster.


My catnip seeds are starting to flourish.  These were not picked wild, but planted with organic seeds.  The house cats went bonkers when they smelled it hanging.  It was so funny watching them try to get to it.  Timmy already located the pot outdoors, and I see him rubbing on the leaves often.

I use the catnip for making a catnip tincture.  I use it for bug spray making and for insomnia.  I'm sure I'll find more uses as I learn.

 New tincture - billberry.  I read you can use the leaves and the berries.  I have to order mine.  They are not cheap either.   I ran my dried berries through the food processor as well as I could, and this 4 oz. bag just about filled the pint jar halfway.  I filled the rest with vodka.  This is good for eyesight, strengthening the blood vessel walls and more.

If you want more information on making tinctures, go to this site online:  Mountain Rose Herbs (tinctures/extracts).

For more information on what bilberries can do for you, go to this site online:  Herbal Wisdom

2 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

Interesting about tinctures. Mountain Rose is a great company. Hope you enjoyed your 4th!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sam I Am.