Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, July 8, 2016

Camping Trip ~ Campfire Mac n' Cheese

We've been "off line" for a while so these are posts will catch up all up to date.  Hubby took us camping!  Oh the fun!

This is the fire ring that we cooked on.  We bring along a tri-pod as well.


Meal prep - noodles boiled and cheeses mixed but not melted.  I did this the day before we went camping.
 




This is how we ended up cooking our first night's dinner.  On the bottom I put a mix of vegetables, and butter on a griddle over the fire.  On the tri-pod, I put the mini-pie pans on another griddle, then covered them with foil.  With a careful eye, rotating, and lowering, we pulled off making our first ever camfire mac n' cheese.

I was so afraid I'd burn the bottoms of the mac n' cheese but I did not.  Oh so good too!  


We worked off the pasta and cheese on a long bicycle ride too.  It was hot and humid, but we survived.

8 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

I always wanted to camp but my husband had been in Viet Nam and said he's had enough of "camping". I should have taken the kids and gone myself! What fun! So glad you were able to get away....again! LOL!

RB said...

Sounds just lovely. After going through USMC Boot Camp, I'm afraid I'm not much of a camper anymore, but I can surely understand those who are. Communing with nature is a great way to get back to one's calmest level (we call it "pivot point"), and that's a great place to start a new week.
Prayers everyone has a safe and blessed weekend.
God bless.
RB
<><

Liz said...

Glad you finally got to go camping! Mac & cheese over the fire? YUM!
I miss all of the great things we used to cook over a campfire!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, when the kids were really little, we simply put a tent up in the back yard. They loved it.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks RB, the kids liked everything but the heat.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Liz, it was hot, but we did cook over the campfire. Even breakfast.

Sandra said...

looks like a great time. I love outdoor cooking :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sandra, I think I may invest in some cast iron skillets for campfire cooking (or a griddle). We've really had fun with it.