Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Mullein Tincture

I finally made it to the store to get vodka to make a mullein tincture.


I used fresh mulleinI've read that you do not want to cut more than 40% of your plant, but I am typically careful not to over harvest mine. 


I have mullein growing in a pot.  It's invasive, so I don't put it in the herb garden directly.  The leaves are fuzzy and soft. 

My tincture will we ready in 6 weeks.  I did a small batch with this to add to my medicine cupboard. Now, I have read that it will last up to 2 years if kept in the refrigerator, and other sources stated 7-10 years.  I'm pretty sure it won't be in my cupboard for 7 years.  Someone typically gets a sinus infection around here, a cough, or a cold, or a sore throat.  My mullein does not have flowers yet, but you can make a tincture with the flowers too.  I plan to make the next one with mullein flowers and elderberry flowers.

I'm quite impressed how my tea infusion of elderberry flowers and mullein helped me cure my own sinus infection.  I knew that thyme tea will break up mucus, and that nettle was helpful with allergies, but I'm wondering if mullein is better for allergies now.  

I'll keep experimenting, and researching, and reading books.  There are answers out there.  I just have to find them all.   Then I have to remember them all.  I read that this tincture can be used for migraines too.     

6 comments:

Mama Pea said...

In times gone by, you would have been the esteemed witch doctor everyone went to for healing!

Sam I Am...... said...

Did you see my post where I showed a picture of my "interesting" plant/weed in my yard. I didn't cut it and it is over 7 feet tall....it is mullein and the leaves are huge! It has a 2 foot stem of flowers and side flowers now too. I only have one plant that I know of but it could be more if it flowers? I heard the leaves are good for dyeing too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, Hubby said the same thing, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am it will spread. The flowers and the leaves are useful. I am waiting on mine to flower so I can utilize the flowers.

RB said...

This is all very good to know. I wonder where I'd get mullein around here.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, it does not grow wild on our property, but you can purchase seeds online from Horizon seeds (medicinal herbs).