One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, February 12, 2016

Rosemary Infused Wine ~ Tonic Wines

Somewhere, in all those library books I have been borrowing, I got the idea to infuse red wine with rosemary.

Mountain rose herbs has a few more recipes on their site too.  I have no idea why I chose rosemary, but it intrigued me.


I can't recall where I collected the information, so I am back to borrowing books.  In the mean time, I am allowing the wine to sit for 1-3 weeks.  From what I have read, anything left sit longer will be too strong of an infused wine.


Rosemary has so many good qualities for healing that I wanted to try it first, but will try elderberry next I think.  My trees are getting larger, but not producing berries just yet.  

I'm finding that these "tonic wines" can be somewhat like an aperitif, and taken before a meal.

Just when I think I have discovered the last "new" herbal concoction to try, I find another.


7 comments:

Rain said...

I have to admit, I can't imagine the flavour combination. I'm interested to know how it turns out. I've tried berry-infused white wines before, but they were more desserty. I think red wine itself is wonderful, I have a glass every night after dinner as a digestif too.

Kristina said...

Rain, I'll let you know. I read that it should infuse for 3 weeks for a strong flavor. I may try it after 1 week.

Sam I Am...... said...

I love rosemary and I think I would love it in wine too. I usually have a glass of red wine before and with dinner. This sounds intriguing. When my mother was pregnant with me the doctor told her to drink a glass of red wine before dinner to increase her appetite because she was so tiny and I was too. I was 5 pounds at birth. Did it work? Would I have been smaller? We'll never know! LOL! I have made up for lost time though!

Kristina said...

Sam I am, I am quite interested in the taste this wine will have too. That's also interesting the doctor told her to drink the wine for that reason.

RB said...

Sounds interesting. I bet it would be good to cook with too.
God bless.
RB
<><

RB said...

Sounds interesting. I bet it would be good to cook with too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Kristina said...

RB, I have thought about cooking with it too.