Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Update on the Cowls

In early November I crocheted myself two cowls - one short and one long.  The long was almost immediately given to my 19 year-old daughter.  

It was always in my way - housework, outdoor work, putting wood in the stove, baking and cooking etc.  It was not conducive to my lifestyle. Daughter uses it to keep warm on her long drive back and forth to college, and for driving anywhere really.
 

I love the short one.  It's perfect. 

Update on the ear warmer - gave this away to the girls too.  It has way to many "holes" in it to keep the wind off my ears.  I'm now looking for a more solid pattern to make a new one.

I'm up late, but luckily the fire was still burning.  The puppies decided to sleep in a bit I guess.  I just had to go outside and bring in more wood.  It's still cold here.  We've moved up to -11°F, but will be up to 19°F later today, according to the weather.  

I now have a pair of grippers on my boots.  They hold nice and tight to the ice.  I just have to remember not to wear them into the kitchen to bring wood in.  No more near misses now. 

Hubby is now enjoying herbal teas.  He's been testing some out for me, and I think I've convinced him they do have benefits.  I hope to have an update later on at least one he's been drinking.

I haven't started my third book just yet.  It's a toss between what to start yet.  Non-fiction or fiction.  

6 comments:

Susan said...

I love that short cowl. That's my one complaint about scarves - they are always in my way. I end up doing triple knots and then wrestling with it when I come in. I have taken to herbal tea at night instead of my usual glass of vino. Amazingly, I now prefer it! What herbal teas do you usually drink at night?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, it all depends. Valerian if I can't sleep, but lemongrass does the trick for that too.

Sandra said...

Nice cowls :)

Liz said...

Your cowls are really pretty colored! I have a hard time with things around my neck, scarves drive me nuts! lol.. We have been in the single digits for the past couple of days. Nice to have my hubby home to tend to the woodstove, instead of me!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Sandra

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Liz, I love the short one. I hated having to deal with long scarves when I had lots of work to do outside.