Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Random Homestead Happenings



 Good Morning!  Rooster's Crow Farm is covered with sunshine after a wonderfully, beautiful sunrise this morning.


The ladies have been generous lately, so we had breakfast for dinner - egg/sausage burritos.  The vegetarians cooked up some extra firm tofu (organic/non-gmo), and added that to their burrito.



I've been enjoying more herbal teas.  No big news there. This one was lemongrass/clove tea.  I'm down to the last quart jar of my wild picked nettle too.  

As for mousers this cold snap?  Chickens: 2, Barn Cats: 1, Mouse trap: 1

Hubby got my frozen barn door free, and now the ladies can get some well deserved sunshine without freezing their feet off in the tundra.

Evidently, there were some northerners who went into panic mode this last weekend (fearing a blizzard).  The feed store was almost completely out of non-gmo/organic chicken feed.  I was able to get a 10 lb. bag until the restock.
  

I made some homemade "Lysol" wipes using a good brand of paper towels, water, rubbing alcohol, and dawn soap.  I would like to make a "roll" of washable towels, but these are working out nicely.  There are many versions of making these on the interent too.

We restocked the firewood, but as I helped Hubby toss it all into the truck bed, I sprained my elbow.  Of all places on my body, my elbow.  So, this morning my challenge is to make myself a poultice of comfrey using dry comfrey.  I've always used fresh.  I'll let you know how it works out.

My resume is pretty much written, but references are another thing.  Our 19 year-old daughter has dropped her classes, and returned home, and has already applied for a two year college near home.  The good news is that the two year program (Vet technician), has dropped their tuition by $10,000.  The bad news?  It will cost us $21,000.00 for the course (books included).   She's job hunting as well.

I've been downing raw garlic to kill off any "sinus" infection (and anything else) that may be brewing.  It's a win-win solution.  The garlic kills off, and in the process makes you super thirsty, so you drink more, flushing more out.  I've managed to fill my empty capsules with the raw garlic for easier swallowing, but it is a challenge to get it done quickly, as the raw garlic dampens the capsule making it difficult to fill.  By the way, hand filling empty capsules has been easier than using the capsule machine.  I'm downing probiotics (kefir) too, as the garlic kills, I need to replenish the good bacteria too.

I better get this posted.  I need to get that poultice on my elbow so I can function today - walking dogs, carrying chicken water, and just plain lifting hurts.

8 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I'm amazed that capsule-filling machine is still on the market because it does such a poor job. I bought ours years ago and the one you just got looks identical.

If you're into homeopathics, Arnica Montana for your elbow strain will work wonders. At least it always does for us. An elbow takes so much stress on a day-to-day basis that I hope yours heals quickly. Ouch!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, thank you for that tip. I have a small jar left of dried comfrey so I am crushing and adding warm water. Even lifting the coffee pot was difficult, and I do need both arms for work. I'll update, but will write down that other one too.

Kim said...

Sorry to hear about the elbow. We don't give much thought to that body part till it hurts now do we! Hope yo get some relief and it heals quickly. Breakfast sounded divine, thanks to the ladies.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Kim. I hope to feel better today. The comfrey poultice seems to have helped.

RB said...

To clean counter tops, appliances, etc., I got some cheap diaper wipes in a plastic box at Dollar Tree, added a capful or two of PineGlo (PineSol's cheaper cousin) also purchased at Dollar Tree to it, and keep that in both the kitchen and bathroom where they're readily available for quick clean ups or thorough wash downs. Works well!
For more of a natural way, Tea Tree Oil works well too. It's a natural cleaner and disinfectant.
Got my new recliner today. It's pretty. As soon as the cats get out of it, I'll let you know if it's comfortable. LOL
Have two cats with the sniffles. We've segregated them in the bathroom with a vaporizer and are giving them canned pate cat food watered down with chicken broth. I hope it helps them.
Prayers everyone has a safe and blessed week.
God bless.
RB
<><

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

catching up...
sorry about the elbow, hope it's improved. did the poultice seem to help? I just saw a recipe for home made "lysol" wipes. Which dawn soap did you use?
I just bought a bottle that was something... 'summertime showers' Simply Clean. (non-concentrated) will that work?
Just reading up on the daughter dropping classes and getting a job.
I'll have to read back further... and see what's up with that.
Hope everything is good. Nothing bad.
hang in there.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Patricia, I used original Dawn in my wipes. I'm not sure on any other dish soap. The one daughter is changing colleges. It will be less costly too. The comfrey helped my elbow. I wish I had more in my pantry.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, that's another good idea. Thanks for sharing. I hope those kitty cats get better soon.